Author Topic: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.  (Read 336305 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.
« Reply #120 on: May 10, 2010, 16:36:54 »
Hi and welcome marge, you will enjoy this forum so jump right in XX Jesnnine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Marge

• Not So New ...
    • Marge Land
« Reply #121 on: May 12, 2010, 19:29:14 »
Welcome, Marge. Ask away!

Here goes (you asked for it  ;)   ), we have sown carrots and parsnips in tyre towers in a mix of sand and compost, with a 'tube' of just sand for the actual seeds ... but nothing has happened so far.  Could it be the cold weather? ???
Reine de la cocina

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #122 on: May 13, 2010, 13:43:24 »
welcome to the forum!!

Here goes (you asked for it  ;)   ), we have sown carrots and parsnips in tyre towers in a mix of sand and compost, with a 'tube' of just sand for the actual seeds ... but nothing has happened so far.  Could it be the cold weather? ???

yep, it's the cold!! cover with a fleece (or piece of old net curtain) this will help stabilise the temperature for the seed to germinate.
You couldn't make it up!

sazhig

• Half Acre
« Reply #123 on: May 14, 2010, 12:37:37 »
I'm not a newbie but have been lurking mainly, feeling jealous without a plot of my own any more :-\ ...but I finally received a letter yesterday, from the council, confirming that I am now 5th on the waiting list for a plot  ;D ;D ;D. It's only taken 2 years to get to this point and I'm reckoning on it taking a good while longer before I actually get to sign a contract...but getting a plot someday is better than never  :D so I'm feeling rather optimistic all of a sudden and thought I'd say hello and get back to chatting  :)

LITTLEMISSKNUCKLES

« Reply #124 on: May 14, 2010, 13:25:23 »
Hi Everyone,

A newbie here, ive not got a plot as our council say unless 2000 + die then i wont get one for about 32 years..... :( It is immensely annoying when some says... " sorry ive worked her 12 years and never seen an allotment plot come free"..... Anyway my garden is the closest thing to an allotment we will ever get..... At home i have my hubby, my 2 daughters, my brother and my sister living with us....
We do have 2 chucks and 3 khaki campbells...2 dogs, 2 cats .. yeah the list is endless ha ha ha....

So i know i dont have an allotment but we are using ur garden as our veggie stash.....
We are glad we have finally found somewhere to get excellent knowledge, help, tips and lots of encouragement .....

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #125 on: May 14, 2010, 19:27:16 »
Well hello, it sound to me like you will fit right in..I adore Khaki Campbells by the way.I do have a lottie but since moving back accross the pond it is a Canadaian one so I bet your garden it three times the size of my ground.

Have fun on the forum.

Pictures are always good..

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #126 on: May 15, 2010, 07:20:54 »
Hello Marge and LittleMissKnuckles (great user name!!) and hi to sazhig  - nearly there  ;D  ;D  ;D

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #127 on: May 15, 2010, 07:33:36 »
Hi and welcome to A4A Marge and LittleMissKnuckles  ;D Sounds like you have a busy house and garden LMK  ;D, I love my garden plottie too
Hi to Sazhig, hope you get your lottie very soon 
Marge my carrots and parsnips were very slow to start too  :)
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

hyacinth_1

• Not So New ...
« Reply #128 on: May 19, 2010, 22:03:37 »
Hello everyone - I did not know this introducing yourself was on I just press the shed and hey presto am here.  I have had a good read and I also got half a plot last august/september. There wasn't a lot to do then but boy have I had fun trying to get seed to grow in the soil. I planted carrots scallions small turnips beans (which the birds ate)  I will never try to grow in the soil with seeds again, start them off in the greenhouse.  I do beleive that it has been too cold also.  Me, I am called Judith and live in Newcastle Upon Tyne I am 68 arthritic so I love the excercise I get when digging etc (I don't it knacks) I have loads of different things on the go in the g/house - more corn on the go tomatoes are great and the cucumbers are in their pots too. 

How do the weeds grow and not the veg?  I have one plot with cauli cabbage and in between stuck some beans I do hope this lot will take.  (Yes plenty of the chicken pellets and growmore stuff) been put in soil. 

My hubby does all of his stuff in the back garden in pots long pots high pots half tubs everything he sees he wants but I cannot grumble as the carrots taste so sweet and leeks for old fashioned broth - makes my mouth water just thinking of it. Lush.
The mother of my son called me Mrs Hyacinth after a program that I had not seen.  She hopefully was making a joke as I am not like her Hyacinth. At least I don't think. ;D - Mind I have looked all over the internet and must say that all of you are great especially the one I kept picking her brains (she will know)
Loads of happy times for all of you for this year and I hope we all become great pals. Jude

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #129 on: May 23, 2010, 09:39:54 »
Welcome , it sure sounds like you are at home already, I expect you .XX Jeannine

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #130 on: May 24, 2010, 10:01:40 »
How do the weeds grow and not the veg? 

You know it's one of liefs mysteries, you put all that effort into sowing seeds, nurturing them, then some great big hulking uninvited weed tries to take over !!

Welcome to A4A Judith  :)

splot

« Reply #131 on: June 06, 2010, 19:59:26 »
 :)  Hiya I'm Splot aka Leslie . I am lady but my mum can't spell so I ended up with the males version of Lesley (grrrrrrrrr).
We have in the last week rotavated and tiller a large area of our garden and have created a wonderful area to grow our own veg in.  It's a bit late in the season to grow anything but we have a few seeds showing growth of lettuce/courgettes/radish and carrots.  We have yet to put together the mdpe pipe to cover some of the area with netting (to keep two big dogs off the plants) but that is my next weeked project.
I have had a veggie patch before but grew too much and all at once so now I'm old and wiser I think I can cope with it better.  We are only going to grow what we like to eat!  So lots of lovely veg to plan and space out.

This look slike a good site and I am hoping to go to the chat room for a natter soon (or if I see any one in there!).

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #132 on: June 06, 2010, 20:02:59 »
Welcome, Splot! Still plenty of time to grow stuff, especially if you can get plants. If you have a local freecycle group, you'll probably find people offering their surplus plants for free at this time of year.

Whereabouts are you? Someone on here might be able to give you some plants.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #133 on: June 06, 2010, 21:43:29 »
Hi Splot, super name..  I hope your garden works out well for you, XX Jeannine

Well Hyacinth.. or should I say Hey Jude,patron saint of lost causes I believe, well that is making me laugh, it doesn't sound a bit like you at all...causes cetainly but not lost ones,oh I remember when.........

XX Jeannine

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #134 on: June 06, 2010, 21:54:29 »
Welcome Splot!!

and I love your name too :)

Duke :)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

happygardner

• Not So New ...
« Reply #135 on: June 07, 2010, 19:43:32 »
hello all My name is Lorraine I am 55 [fancy owning up to that] I live with my partner Andy  We moved close to Lewes in East Sussex nearly 3 years ago We are lucky that we have a largish garden with a nice size veg patch Andy does most of the hard work digging etc [arent I lucky] We grow loads of things like broad beans [1st ones tonight] toms cues lettuce peas the list goes on I wont bore you  I am glad that I found this site it is sooooooo informative HAPPY GARDENING EVERYBODY
Lorraine
may all your days be happy ones

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #136 on: June 07, 2010, 19:46:46 »
 Hello and welcome Happygardener, now there is a positive name !! You are just a youngster,  have fun here XX Jeannine

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #137 on: June 08, 2010, 08:58:26 »
hi happy gardener  :)
the list goes on I wont bore you 
Lorraine

Never!! We love to hear it all 
Hope those broadies tasted great  :)

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #138 on: June 08, 2010, 10:47:05 »
Welcome Splot, Happygardener other newcomers.  It is a great site this and you will find the people here very helpful and friendly.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #139 on: June 08, 2010, 16:26:55 »
This look slike a good site and I am hoping to go to the chat room for a natter soon (or if I see any one in there!).

most evenings there is a few folk who gather in 'the shed'
You couldn't make it up!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal