Author Topic: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.  (Read 336330 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.
« Reply #100 on: April 30, 2010, 07:43:27 »
Hello to our all our newbies - kazzab  ;D firefightersbabe  ;D and Funky Farmer  ;D - Happy growing one and all  ;D 

firefightersbabe - I grow lots at home to transplant, and semm to do well. And yes carrots don't like it - but pretty much the rest are ok

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #101 on: April 30, 2010, 07:56:42 »
Hello and welcome to new faces, kazzab, firefightersbabe and Funky Farmer, enjoyed reading about you all  ;D

I raise lots in pots, trays or modules to plant later can work really well. When planted out they get a good start before weed seeds germinate.  I'm in agreement not for carrots or parsnips.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

JJane01

• Not So New ...
« Reply #102 on: April 30, 2010, 09:19:22 »
Hi there,

I don't think I've introduced myself before, although have been a lurking member for a couple of years.  A back garden gardener for 9 years, we have this week got an allotment (year+ on the waiting list)... and we also had four chickens join our family last weekend  :)

Our plot is (in new money as the tape measure doesn't do feet and inches) - 30m x 6 or 7m, plus a further 10m or so that's more a dumping ground.  The soil in our back garden is beautiful - a former orchard - but on the allotment we're back to more of a clay base, but not as heavy as the clay where we lived before, 3 miles up the road.  Signed up Tuesday, went Wednesday after work for an hour to start clearing (brambles, nettles, bindweed, other weeds), last night did another hour and as it had rained it was easier to work.  Going out shortly for another couple of hours (I don't work Fridays, although have had to due to being short staffed, and now have a proper excuse not to!) and expect it to be a bit easier to work after last night's rain, although aware I may grow a few inches in height with clods of mud clinging to my hikers!

Anyway, it's nice to think we do have an allotment now; our back garden is a reasonable size but with an 8 year old who needs his camping and play space, plus some flowers, fruits, veg, trees and chickens, the allotment became a wish... and is now reality  :)

Husband's already thinking of a little camping gas stove, telescope.... sort of shades of Tom and Barbara, plus a bit of Donna's Grandad from Doctor Who... and it's so lovely we're next to the brook and son can go down with his fishing net to play about, and also watch Mr and Mrs Mallard and the Ducklings.

Jill

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #103 on: April 30, 2010, 14:17:29 »
So nice to see all the new names. Havent been on here as often over the winter so have alot of catching up to do. Welcome to you all and hope you have a good year gardening.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

mangopickle

« Reply #104 on: April 30, 2010, 14:28:11 »
Hi All
I've been lurking for a while now.  I have had my allotment around 18 months so this is my second season.  Looking forward to getting more involved.
Mango :D

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #105 on: April 30, 2010, 15:07:56 »
Hi to all the newbies! Great to have so many joining us, and good gardening to you all!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #106 on: April 30, 2010, 18:28:03 »
Hello JJane and mango pickle..welcome to the mad gang, as you have been lurking a while you know how daft we sometimes can be.

Your new lottie sounds as if you have work ahead of you but with a brook etc it will be very pretty once organised, yes you must have the camp stove and kettle, and a shed of course.

Mango, it will be great to hear about your experiences, we all learn from each other and if you are in season two you are an old hand now.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #107 on: April 30, 2010, 19:18:25 »
Welcome to all of you and good luck with your growing.    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

gertie50

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #108 on: May 04, 2010, 10:20:42 »
Hello All,
I'm an absolute beginner as far as gardening is concerned, although when I was alot younger than I am now..lol
my parents gave me a small plot of ground so I could grow anything I wanted. I remember planting flowers of all shapes & sizes around a little bit of rockery which I remember painting the rocks. Now however I much prefer to plant veg's.
I started last year planting bits & pieces on the patio in grow bags & pots, Lettuce, toms, chillies, cucumber, and I was really chuffed with my beetroot.
Now I want to be a bit more adventurous. My husband made me two raised beds, I purchased some quality soil, threw on a load of well rotted horse manure & now it's ready to use.
I've planted onions, garlic, spring onions, potatoes, parsnips & carrots. Later on I hope to put in swede & sprouts.
I haven't a clue what I'm doing, I'm flying by the seat of my pants...lol
I've been looking at various internet sites to get some advice & came across this site, so now I hope to gain more knowledge with the help of fellow veggie growers.
So be prepared, I'll be asking loads of questions...lol

Looking forward to meeting you all,
Gertie...... :)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #109 on: May 04, 2010, 13:48:40 »
welcome to the forum, gertie!!
You couldn't make it up!

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #110 on: May 04, 2010, 14:28:31 »
Funky Farmer, Kazzab, Judi, Jill, Mango & Gertie (and anybody else I've missed along the way)  :D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2010, 17:17:52 »
Hiya, Gertie, we've been growing veggies for years and still fly by the seat of our pants, that's what makes it so exciting  ;D

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2010, 22:07:31 »
Hi Gertie - a hearty welcome from me too. You will find answers to any questions or problems here, but be prepared - there are quite a few of us who are a bit dotty when it comes to growing our own fruit and veg.  We do have fun though  ;D.

btw - I've PM'd you.

Tricia

plot5

« Reply #113 on: May 05, 2010, 01:31:18 »
hi to all you gardeners as a newbie not only to this site i am a newbie on my laptop but i am getting there.  i have been growing fruit and veg for years on my allotment  i have a full plot and my grandson has half a plot .  we have planted almost everything except frost free plants which we plant out in the last week in may runner beans ext .I do like chatting about gardening and sharing different views

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #114 on: May 05, 2010, 06:59:41 »
Jill, Mango, Gertie and Plot5, Hello and Welcome from me too  ;D
Sounds like you have come to just the right place Plot5  ;D
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #115 on: May 05, 2010, 07:29:22 »
Welcome to A4A Gertie and Plot5 - sounds like you'll both be at home round here  ;D

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #116 on: May 05, 2010, 10:42:03 »
wotcha to plot5 and mango, and anyone else I've missed!!
welcome to the forum. ;) ;D ;D
You couldn't make it up!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #117 on: May 06, 2010, 07:41:44 »
Hi Gertie, welcome and good on yer, great to grow your own, ask a way, there is always someone who can help.

Welcome to plot 5 too, it sounds as if you are doing OK with your garden but did you know there is a great  bunch of folks on here who can help you with your computer problems too.. I know I am one of their most frequent posters  !!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Marge

• Not So New ...
    • Marge Land
« Reply #118 on: May 10, 2010, 14:43:49 »
Hi everyone  :)

I have been helping out at a garden club for a year and only just found out about this forum last week  ::)

Having not had success with parsnips or tomatoes last year I am bound to be asking plenty of questions about these particular crops ... apologies in advance  ;)
Reine de la cocina

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #119 on: May 10, 2010, 16:32:31 »
Welcome, Marge. Ask away!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal