Author Topic: Sowing today?  (Read 21259 times)

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
Sowing today?
« on: March 01, 2010, 21:45:23 »
It's that time on the seed packets  ;D

What are we sowing today or maybe tomorrow  ???

Ninny

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: Sowing today?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 21:55:09 »
Well the ground here is still frozen and will be waterlogged when it thaws so probably still confined to windowsills.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 22:16:12 »
I'm constantly tempted to put some round-seeded peas in, under cover. I think I'll resist for a bit though.

Le-y

• Acre
  • Growing children and food in Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 22:22:36 »
I did some today   :-[ the beautiful sun was shining through my kitchen window so egg boxes out, window sill cleared and refilled with soon to be growing yummies (hopefully).

strangely i'm quite nervous this year, my first allotment year and last year was the first year i grew anything

First time allotment holder, second time mum.

GlentoranMark

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 09:33:22 »
I put in a half row of beetroot under fleece and cloche last week. This allotment game is new to me so it would be interesting to see how they turn out. If anything, all I'll have wasted is a few seeds.

detailista

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 09:48:18 »
My first proper year this year too :)

I'm going to rehouse my pot plants from home to work to clear my windowsills tomorrow and will be planting as much as I can fit - I can't remember what seeds I've got to start off now but there were quite a few, am especially excited now I know that  if any packets of seeds don't germinate well wilkos offer to refund/replace  ;D

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 09:56:51 »
Im still on the window sills.  My London clay is next to imposible to sow direct at the moment.
Got some peas in paper tubes ready to go out to the cold frame.  Planted some more chillis last night.  If I am lucky I might get some parsnips in my prepared bed at the weekend.  Putting all my toms on this week - spare room starting to look like Kew Gardens!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Le-y

• Acre
  • Growing children and food in Norfolk
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 10:23:30 »
see its still far too cold to plant out now woke up this morning to frost again though its a lovely sunny day now!

and i think we're due to get some more snow?
First time allotment holder, second time mum.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 12:28:44 »
if any packets of seeds don't germinate well wilkos offer to refund/replace  

I presume that all seeds are replaceable if they fail to germinate.  I am not sure that we send enough back.  I think we often blame out ineptitudes rather than the seeds.

I would like to thank you becuase I had an expensive packet of pink flowered strawberries Flroian and there were only half the stared quantity of seeds.  I had filled 16 pots (hoping for one exta) and in the end only had enough to put a seed in half.  Your remark goaded me into action and I got a replacement packet.  Very pleased -replacement packet has two extra.  

I think we have been spoiled by the last few mild years.  In the past we have had frosts in June and I have seen more while Easters than white Christmas.  I remember having to throw sheets over the runner beans which were right up to the top of the poles one year and praying it would be enough to keep them frost free. 

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 13:10:39 »
I guess it will be another four weeks or so before I get into sowing seriously.

Took about 70 Chrysant cuttings this morning, so at least I have made a start!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 13:49:26 »
It'll be a couple of weeks for me. At present I'm thinking about seed potatoes, not seed seeds.

Busy Bee

• Quarter Acre
  • Bexhill On Sea East Sussex
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 13:58:04 »
Got my potatoes chitting but thats it. Its reassuring to know i'm not the only one who will be leaving it a few weeks yet. My soil is so wet i can't get anywhere near it at the moment. Thought i would leave it until the easter school break at the end of the month.

ourdai

• Not So New ...
  • Old allotmenteers never die, they just run to seed
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 14:33:06 »
Canadian beans in loo rolls to grow in a cold greenhouse.   Will plant a couple of potatoes in the greenhouse border, worked well last year.   Toms growing under a blue LED lamp looking good.

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 18:14:47 »
Forcing myself to wait for a few weeks to get toms & a few other bits going on windowsill.

Going to run out of windowsill if I get things going too soon  :)

amphibian

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 18:26:23 »
I'll wait for spring, it all catches up in the end.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 19:32:51 »
The ground is still very wet in our area but not really worried, I have my seeds and Broad beans coming on in the cold frame Easter will be early enough for me and lets hope a little bit warmer, :)

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 20:19:30 »
went to the lottie yesterday and most of it was like a swamp. Did some work down there tidying and diggin the driest bits.

As for planting if it cant go into a seed tray then its got to wait

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 20:25:39 »
I sowed some celeriac yesterday.    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

worldor

• Half Acre
  • A Black Country girl
    • City Chickens
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 13:43:49 »

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 20:09:45 »
Canadian beans in loo rolls to grow in a cold greenhouse.   Will plant a couple of potatoes in the greenhouse border, worked well last year.   Toms growing under a blue LED lamp looking good.

Ooh... what sort of blue LED are you using?... do you have any pictures?... I'm interested in trying some onions next year under LED's so anyone doing anythign other than growing naughty plants is someone I want to talk to :D

chrisc

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal