Author Topic: broad beans then what?  (Read 1922 times)

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
broad beans then what?
« on: March 24, 2010, 08:59:12 »
What can go in the ground after broad beans have finished and still have enough time to produce a harvest?

BockingBill

• Quarter Acre
Re: broad beans then what?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 09:30:54 »
What can go in the ground after broad beans have finished and still have enough time to produce a harvest?

We always plant leeks in the vacated space.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 10:09:05 »
Hi

I know some people plant their sweetcorn after the broadies. Other than I was thinking of using it for fennel and salads  :-\

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 17:36:18 »
A quick crop of first early potatoes? Winter squash? Autumn planted onion sets? Green manure crop for over winter? Oriental brassicas? ...

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 18:14:53 »

I have some leeks coming on in a module tray- they're like 2 thready blades of grass  right now and about 4"tall.  Should I pot them on into bigger pots? If I don't put them in the ground until the broad beans come out (and I only sowed the beans yesterday!) where can they live until then?

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 21:24:11 »

I have some leeks coming on in a module tray- they're like 2 thready blades of grass  right now and about 4"tall.  Should I pot them on into bigger pots? If I don't put them in the ground until the broad beans come out (and I only sowed the beans yesterday!) where can they live until then?
plant them in a small bed, very closely planted. then plant them out after the broadies are harvested.
You couldn't make it up!

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 11:46:53 »
I have often planted leeks or cabbage after broad beans, just add some more organic matter. You can also grow quick stuff like lettuce.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 12:48:04 »
I put in PSB last year thinking it was rather late to move them, but they have survived the winter better than others.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal