Author Topic: Allotments in Swindon  (Read 5722 times)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Allotments in Swindon
« on: February 25, 2010, 19:11:38 »
I've just had my offer on a house in Swindon accepted. Currently live in Abingdon, work in Oxford, will have to get used to the commute I guess....
I've got an allotment near work that I will keep up plant things that dont' need too much looking after so I can get away with cycling down twice a week to weed. I'll have enough space for the more demanding things in the garden of the house I'm buying...

So where are the allotments in Swindon and what are they like? I've got the list from Swindon council but really I'm a bit spoilt by my current plot (very cheap and very out of the way, aside from losing the odd wheelbarrow...), so I'd like one that's not surrounded by a residential area

chrisc

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Allotments in Swindon
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 19:31:08 »
There are quite a few sites in swindon but they all have horrendously long waiting lists.  Which area of swindon are you in?  I tried ot find one for a friend and most of the waiting lists are so long they are closed. 

Taurus is the most active Swindoner on A4A.  I'm about 10 miles north.

Have you looked at

http://www.swindon.gov.uk/leisuresport/allotments.htm#allot_info

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 19:32:40 »
Yeah I've seen the council website :D.... I'klll be pretty much in th emiddle I think, Near the big Wickes store....

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 19:42:52 »
I would get your name on the crowdys hill wheeler avenue list asap. Just up the road from wckes
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 19:55:44 by Digeroo »

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 00:17:12 »
Thanks for that.... once the bits are in place with the purchase I'll do that... might trty to contact them tomorrow in fact... with no chain either direction it should be a quick process

chrisc

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 19:09:44 »
Chris, when I moved to Newbury in '95 the first thing I did was get a map and mark the allotments on it so I knew where to look for a house, and I'd been working my plot a month before I moved in.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 03:48:42 »
To my surprise (having read threads on here) the council person got back to me within a day of me posting (which was at the weekend), and responded to my reply within an hour or so. It seems likely that I'll have at least 5 poles pretty much as soon as I move and possibly ten poles.... They're reopening a disused site and it's about as close to the house I'm buying as any of them.....

chrisc

irishmilo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 11:47:37 »
I've been on the waiting list for Burghley Close for sometime now and after enquiring today I am on 16 on the list.  There are only 19 or 20 plots on this site so it's going to be years before I get a sniff.  I would imagine that most the sites in Swindon are the same so I'm growing in pots and a small raised bed at home until then.

Good luck, Chris

Mark

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 12:11:58 »
Welcome to A4A Irishmilo  Swindon are reopening the allotments at Crowdys Hill, Wheeler ave.   Luckily for Chris it is his nearest site.

Fluffnco

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 18:20:25 »
just wanted to say that the Hatton Grove site will have half plots available once they have been flailed and de weeded by council...will keep you posted..would be nice to have all plots being worked. The site is clay and does have a tendency to have surface water if the rain is heavy and persistent but this is down to the site not being cultivated or worked. there's been a new gate put up and also a new road put in too..if council fence all around the site to make it totally secure it'll be a very nice site. Water is provided via two self filling water tanks at either end of site.

Fluffnco

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal