Author Topic: Lost Microsoft word  (Read 3514 times)

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
Lost Microsoft word
« on: February 21, 2010, 11:20:53 »
My plonker of a son as deleted microsoft word, are there any free downloads to get it back ???

lewic

• Hectare
Re: Lost Microsoft word
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 11:29:40 »
Has he actually uninstalled the program, or could he just have deleted the icon or accidentally removed it from the program list? It may still be there if you look in c:\program files\microsoft office (this happens all the time at work!)

If he has completely uninstalled it, then you will need the original CD.

Or you could try Open Office, which is free.

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 11:35:43 »
go to start menu
choose "Run"
type in "winword.exe" (without the quotes!)
if word opens he has not uninstalled it, but as lewic suggested he deleted the links to it.

Do a search to find where winword.exe is (in case it wasn't installed to C:\program files)
create a new shortcut to the location

hope this helps

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 11:59:45 »
No luck microsoft office folder is empty an cannot find winword.exe  :'(

mat

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 12:05:27 »
is the recycle bin empty?

sounds like he may have deleted it :-(  in which case you will need the CD.  How was Word installed in the first place?

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 12:14:23 »
Do you still have the licence number?

You should be able to download a copy of the disk, but the two places I would recommend I would not any more....
TorrentSpy has closed down, Pirate bay is the other one, but don't go there, I just did, and promptly got a virus/spyware installed.

If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 12:19:07 »
It was on the pc when we got it.  Licence number where would i find that ???

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 12:22:46 »
The licence number is normally on a sticker on the case of the PC, or in with a manual.

If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 12:24:24 »
If you need it right away I would download open office http://www.openoffice.org/.Does all the same things. Then you can take your time with working out how to get the Microsoft version back.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 13:15:40 »
IGNORE THIS POST!! Cos please wait til people-wot-know give you their advice...I KNOW NUFFINK (not even where to find spell-check, even... ;D)

What I've got here is a Microsoft Office XP Professional(copied from front blurb) CD with reg. no. Presumably it can be used over-and-over cos it also says "Don't lose this number! You must use it every time you install this software"...

If others think it may be the way to go, I can post it to you, but I need it returned...

I'll leave it there..

Lishka

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 13:24:44 »
IGNORE THIS POST!! Cos please wait til people-wot-know give you their advice...I KNOW NUFFINK (not even where to find spell-check, even... ;D)

What I've got here is a Microsoft Office XP Professional(copied from front blurb) CD with reg. no. Presumably it can be used over-and-over cos it also says "Don't lose this number! You must use it every time you install this software"...

If others think it may be the way to go, I can post it to you, but I need it returned...

I'll leave it there..

Lishka
Do not do this, Microsoft check each number is used only once. If you get a new computer, you can install your software on the new computer, but will stop working on the original instalation,
well I think that is the case, it's been a while since I've installed any 'paid for' microsoft ware, as the free stuff is all I need.

AW, if Froglegs has their number and it is the same version (probably not), then they could use your disk.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 13:26:17 by Chrispy »

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 14:08:36 »
......which is why I said IGNORE THIS POST ???

hmmm. I've lent this, bout 3yrs ago? to someone on Freecycle....gotta go check now if it's still working here ;D....there again, I don't use Word - prefer to use my Wordpad & do the fancy bits myself 8)

mat

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 14:20:58 »
never, ever allow someone else to your your licence - it's a crime.

allowing someone to use a CD with their own licence number (for example they have their own licence no, but lost their CD) would be "okay", but never give them your licence no.

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 16:53:36 »
I use 'word' but also use 'openoffice' as I find for many things (eg producing an A4 folded brochure) is much easier to use

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 22:13:56 »
I also suggest using Open Office. I had Word on a computer many years ago and dumped it after a short time. Installed the Star Office suite (v5.1) went on to v5.2 and v7, changed to Open Office v1 then v2, now v3. Open Office was developed from Star Office v7 by Sun Microsystems software engineers.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2010, 22:26:31 »
If you've got System Restore turned on then simply restore to a time when Word was on the PC

mat

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 23:10:18 »
system restore will only restore some system files, e.g. device drivers and registry entries - not programs unfortuantely like MS Word.

It doesn't restore internet profiles either if deleted (I found that out the hard way!)

greenfists

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 00:17:41 »
There are 5 of us including my 18 year old at uni a 17 year doing a levels and the other one doing gcses.
We only use open office.
Download it here its fine.
http://www.openoffice.org/
Its free and legitimate.

If you haven't got green fingers then use your fists.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 09:26:44 »
Thanks guys my son down loaded open office to the pc last night, he said in a Kevin&perry way "it's not word but it will do init",kids eh.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2010, 09:27:56 »
So, any reason why he deleted Word in the first place?
The Tuscan Beaneater

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal