Author Topic: Alkanet seeds/plant  (Read 2341 times)

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
Alkanet seeds/plant
« on: February 18, 2010, 14:09:44 »
Does anyone have any alkanet seeds or cutting I could have? I have zillions of veg seeds ot swap, all sorts. Many thannks!

Torreya

• Not So New ...
    • Ashfurlong Walled Kitchen Garden
Re: Alkanet seeds/plant
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 00:41:42 »
Not being 'funny', do you really want this thug?  I've been trying to get rid of it for years!!
If any has survived, you are welcome to it!!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 03:28:28 »
@ Reddyreddy

I was wondering why you might want some and then read this from Culpepper:

'It is an herb under the dominion of Venus, and indeed one of her darlings, though somewhat hard to come by. It helps old ulcers, hot inflammations, burnings by common fire and St. Anthony's fire . . . for these uses your best way is to make it into an ointment also if you make a vinegar of it, as you make a vinegar of roses, it helps the morphy and leprosy . . . it helps the yellow jaundice, spleen, and gravel in the kidneys. Dioscorides saith, it helps such as are bitten by venomous beasts, whether it be taken inwardly or applied to the wound, nay, he saith further, if any that hath newly eaten it do but spit into the mouth of a serpent, the serpent instantly dies.... It also kills worms. Its decoction made in wine and drank, strengthens the back, and easeth the pains thereof. It helps bruises and falls, and is as gallant a remedy to drive out the smallpox and measles as any is; an ointment made of it is excellent for green wounds, pricks or thrusts.'

Maybe we should all be growing it!! ;D ;D ;D

@Torreya

Welcome to the forum! Whereabouts are you?

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 07:40:16 »
Hello, I plan to grow it in a sunken pot, what I'm after are the roots, they produce a natural dark red pigment which I use in cosmetics.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 09:19:39 »
Hi Torreya welcome to the forum.  I am with you. I spend huge amounts of time trying to get rid of the **** stuff.  It is a total pain.  How much do you want reddyreddy?  Are you sure you really want it, it spreads like crazy?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:05:19 by Digeroo »

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 07:51:01 »
Having offered some alkanet I have done some research and there are several different types.  Alkanet, false alkanet, dyers alkanet, green alkanet and more.  I have no idea which one I have got.  Not sure that it is wise to use for putting on the skin unless 100% sure it is the right one. 

What ever it is it remains public enemy no 3 after bindweed and bramble.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal