Author Topic: After all these years, I learnt about Duck Eggs!  (Read 2213 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
After all these years, I learnt about Duck Eggs!
« on: February 16, 2010, 10:38:42 »
I have always loved them &, despite the 'old wive's tales' about how the eggs are conceived, I've treated them as other eggs.

So when I read on the pack of very superior ones that they should be boiled for at least 10 mins, I wrote to the farm & said that I don't like hard boiled Duck Eggs.

On the same day, I see in the w/e mag an article by Matthew Fort agreeing with the farm & referring to Salmonella - which the farm doesn't. But he has the answer to getting a safe soft boiled egg. When done to the right stage, tranfer it to a pan of water at 150F for 15 mins. Boring, but it works!!

Interestingly, the farm's reply was that their statement was just the chef's advice & to do as we wished. No mention of Salmonella.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
Re: After all these years, I learnt about Duck Eggs!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 11:32:21 »
I love them too Tim but never tried to boil one! What's the old wives tale about how they are conceived or am I better off not knowing?!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 11:36:22 »
So how do you prepare them?

Tales? Under water & all that stuff!!

Arumlily

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 13:18:23 »
Do they taste just like hen's egg when it's soft boil? I've never used it as a soft boil egg before.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 13:30:58 »
Yes - but SO much richer & nicer!!

And more yolk proportionately.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 12:41:27 »
I scramble them.  :D Mix up gently with a fork, butter, salt and pepper,  fairly generous dash of cream, pour into lightly buttered pan and push the mixture into folds, allowing uncooked mix to run underneath. Turn off heat as soon as mixture lightly set, leave pan on ring to set further if required and serve with your favourite toast (and bacon)  ;D
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 13:10:10 »
Oh Tim, one of my favourite things  soft boiled duckies wit soldiers!!

Mostly we have eaten them from our own ducks but when in the UK I bought them from a farm, I did on one occasion get a thundering good case of the runs but only once in my longlife so it doesn't bother me much.

Haven't found any here yet but will when we go grower stand shopping when the seasons for things are back.

Just jealous right now!!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 13:17:29 »
I love ducks eggs.  Lovely taste.  But so so fattening.

They also make cracking good cakes.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 13:21:14 »
I'm drooling, too (only just read this thread.)

Duck eggs are my all-time faves (but I've not tasted a goose egg yet, and yes, I'm a big eater) and only ever eat them - soft boiled. I know they make the most wonderful cakes, etc. but....oh! soft boiled eggs are my weakness; duck eggs are such a treat, and it would be such a waste. Boiled in the usual way and have never made me ill. Eggs bought/given from various sources over the years. S'pect I've been just lucky, then? Long may it continue!

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 13:48:05 »
I scramble them.  :D Mix up gently with a fork, butter, salt and pepper,  fairly generous dash of cream, pour into lightly buttered pan and push the mixture into folds, allowing uncooked mix to run underneath. Turn off heat as soon as mixture lightly set, leave pan on ring to set further if required and serve with your favourite toast (and bacon)  ;D

Emmy - ever thought of a career in food writing!!   ;D  ;)  ;D That's an fab description, so much so going to have to get my mits on some duck eggs!  And all this talk of egg and soldiers.......................... has got me drooling

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 16:28:13 »
10 minute Goose Eggs are great, but no better than Ducks'.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal