Author Topic: Chickens and vets?  (Read 2592 times)

vegaholics

Chickens and vets?
« on: February 08, 2010, 09:10:06 »
Hello folks from new members (me and the missus). We have a sick chicken, she lost the use of her legs about a week ago and isn't getting any better. It's looking like the kindest thing would be to dispatch her but neither of us have the confidence to wring her neck. We looked at the mechanical dispatchers but comments on various forums seem to suggest they are not as humane as they look. Which leaves the vet. We don't mind paying, but are wondering if a) he might tell us we've got some notifiable disease and call Defra in or b) try and enforce some official, and expensive, form of disposal. Has anyone else done this and can offer any advice?

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Re: Chickens and vets?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 09:21:51 »
Hi and welcome to A4A.

I can't offer any advice at all because I've never kept chickens but if I had, I would be in exactly the same situation as you.  There is no way I could kill anything, I don't even kill slugs and snails!

I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to give advice.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 09:27:22 »
Hi & welcome... We have 3 girls and although I plan on ringing their necks when the time comes, I am really not looking forward to it. I have dispatched quite a few pigeons before - at the start a few of their heads came off and the click really is a horrible sound. Not sure I could stomach that with a "pet" even though they're not sposed to be pets! I have an uncle who used to be a game keeper so if I can't manage it they might have to go on a weekend away to visit him!

I would say one thing, any notifiable disease is notifiable for a reason. If that is the case (and it's fairly unlikely), then you would be doing a favour to other birds in the area. How would you feel if someone else's birds became ill because of yours? It would be irresponsible to dodge the vet for this reason, IMHO.

Lots of vets don't do chickens but it's worth calling around to see who does.

Good luck & I hope the others are okay!

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 10:00:55 »
When i first got chickens i had to take one to the vets. She was eggbound and the egg had smashed inside her. They could'nt help her and put her to sleep, only charged £8. Regarding disease and Defra you are better off knowing are'nt you.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 10:36:12 »
Welcome to the site vegaholics.

I agree with you, putting down chickens is never an easy task.  My husband has had to dispatch some of ours over the years and he hates doing it.

Have you got a neighbour who would do the deed for you?

Northener, that's incredible that the vet only charged £8.   :o   Ours charges £30 for a consultation and then any medications are added to that. 

vegaholics

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 16:47:40 »
Thanks for the replies on this. I take the point about notifiable diseases although, having waded through the Chicken Health Handbook, we're pretty certain it's Marek's Disease, which is not notifiable as far as I can discover. We are isolating her from the rest of them as it's contagious, and will take her to the vet tomorrow. Doubt we'll get away with £8, mind... :)

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 21:37:40 »
It is £40 just to walk through our vets door :o
Unhealthy birds we usually put in a box or whatever and give heat. Vets can rarely do anything for them, but they do know how to get into your wallet ::)
I am afraid its part of life when you keep animals or poultry. :-\

jono

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 17:48:39 »
Hi,
Just wondering how you got on? I had to "relieve" one of my hens who had become very ill so know how you feel, where abouts do you live?

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 20:49:39 »
I have put some of my hens to sleep as and when required.  I have also taken a hen to the vets.  Fees were cheaper than I had expected.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 16:39:38 »
I took one of mine into the vets the other day! 

They were going to "put her to sleep with injection"  I said that it was as kind to wring their neck and one of the vets did so and I didn't receive any bill!!!!

Hows about that then!!

O B ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal