Author Topic: where's your meat from?  (Read 3087 times)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
where's your meat from?
« on: February 07, 2010, 22:28:07 »
this is the sign in our local butchers, identifying all his producers / suppliers, including addresses and 'phone numbers.
[attachment=1]
You couldn't make it up!

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: where's your meat from?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 22:32:23 »
er...Waitrose.  Does that make me a bad person?  ;)  ;D

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 22:34:33 »
Our butcher gets his pork from Blythburgh as well - and it is so tasty ;D

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 22:37:38 »
Yes, we know where our meat comes from, all of it.  Pork from Andover, lamb from Petersfield, chicken from New Milton, beef from Alton.  Eggs from Kings Somborne.  All in Hampshire, on first name terms with the producers, been buying only from them for the last 10 years.
The Tuscan Beaneater

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 22:40:00 »
Yes, we know where our meat comes from, all of it.  Pork from Andover, lamb from Petersfield, chicken from New Milton, beef from Alton.  Eggs from Kings Somborne.  All in Hampshire, on first name terms with the producers, been buying only from them for the last 10 years.

Are eggs the new meat?   ;D

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 22:44:41 »
Until recently, any lamb we had would have come from one of these fields.

But my OH's father has given up lambing, so no more.  :-[

If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 22:48:42 »
er...Waitrose.  Does that make me a bad person?  ;)  ;D

I'm *badder* than Georgie because most of mine comes from Sainsburys!! :P

You know I'm bad I'm bad I'm really bad ;D

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 22:56:15 »

Are eggs the new meat?   ;D

G x

It's been a long day  ::) ::) ::) ::)
The Tuscan Beaneater

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 04:48:22 »
Our butcher also runs an abbatoir all meat he sells is from a 20 mile radius of the abbatoir & each week a list of all of the farmers that they buy stock from complete with contact details is displayed in the shop. There are additional signs putting more emphasis on this & a sign stating all meat sold in the shop is vegetarian (they don't agree with feeding herbivores animal products to cut costs).

http://www.wil-lloyd.co.uk

He was recently awarded an MBE for services to the meat industry so presumably he is doing a good job.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/8345993.stm

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 08:49:35 »
ain't it nice to see that folk are able to buy locally produced meat, in these days of international food-chain solutions!!!
Our butcher gets his pork from Blythburgh as well - and it is so tasty ;D
yes, it is tasty pork!!
You couldn't make it up!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 09:08:10 »
Mine comes from the bargain corner they have in every supermarket.  Nearly out of date but nice and cheap.

Don't tell me it is not nice, I dont really care.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 09:37:11 »
Mine comes from the bargain corner they have in every supermarket.  Nearly out of date but nice and cheap.

Don't tell me it is not nice, I dont really care.

Arf! I also buy my meat when it's reduced - bought the most beautiful sainsburys TTD posh aged rump joint for £12 just after xmas-£3 per kilo-fed 7 of us for sunday lunch and I cut 6 steaks off it! I do buy free range always though.  :)
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 11:18:37 »
Our local farm shop used to sell all their own produced meat, maximum mileage 36 miles, but now it has been taken over and meat is coming a long distance, most of the staff have changed and it is nowhere near as good - why change something that was working so brilliantly and people were queuing out of the door?? ??? ::) ??? ::)

I'm really sad about it, will have go investigate Asbean's farmers market I think.

We have gone over to eating more veggie meals so we can save the money and buy nicer meat - it was working really well! ::)

T.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 11:31:49 »
Actually it's not really more expensive, because we don't throw stuff away because it's tasteless/tough etc.  And we also buy the cheaper cuts most of the time. We also eat more in the way of veggies, but that's because we like them!
The Tuscan Beaneater

Spudbash

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 11:47:53 »
If I'm right in guessing that Winchester Farmers' Market is asbean's local, then yes - go. It's like having a food festival in town once a fortnight - absolutely brilliant and a lot of the meat is very good, not to mention the huge range of other locally-produced stuff.

When I'm buying meat, I prefer independent producers who hang their meat for a long time. This way, a lot of liquid in the meat has already evaporated before you buy and you're not paying for something that will evaporate in the cooking. This kind of meat also browns and crisps much better, so it tastes better. Also, the meat is tenderer.  :)

Waitrose is my fallback and I'm happy to use it because of it's compassionate farming awards, but it meat products do tend to be a bit damper than the best independents' products.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 12:07:54 »
Do I dare say Tesco?  Their Stow on the Wold store sells lovely pork.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2010, 12:36:35 »
 a sign stating all meat sold in the shop is vegetarian

Baccyman - I know you have qualified this - but it did make me chuckle!

Old Bird

;D

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2010, 12:46:47 »
a sign stating all meat sold in the shop is vegetarian

Baccyman - I know you have qualified this - but it did make me chuckle!

Old Bird

;D

Me too ;D

What a fab butchers ,'wish I lived in Wales :)
sanity is overated

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2010, 13:28:23 »
Me three, OB ;D ;D ;D

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 14:32:46 »
Lately, I've been buying meat from Costco. My friend has a trade account so I can attend as a guest for free. It's not really cheap, but I am very impressed with the quality and there is zero wastage as the fat and gristle is already cut off.  I now buy in bulk, split the packs into portions and freeze them. I also buy cheap stuff from Salisbury's if it is a real bargain, but otherwise tend to buy frozen boneless chicken portions from Aldi which are excellent quality, and their frozen tuna packs are also brilliant.

We are also lucky to have a farm nearby for free range eggs, I get trays of 2 1/2 dozen 'seconds' for £3.50...they are mostly white eggs, ones that are too big (!) or slightly misshapen ones that look like they have been strained out!

For big joints of meat we go to our local farm shop for ribs of beef, huge great things for about £10-15 for special occasions and you can see the herd they came from in the field as you drive to it!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal