Author Topic: How to find a judge for Produce Show  (Read 4490 times)

Sue7

• Not So New ...
How to find a judge for Produce Show
« on: February 07, 2010, 12:39:49 »
Our allotment society is trying to find a judge for our annual produce show.  In the past we have had someone from our Borough Council who wasn't very successful.  It was felt his knowledge was limited and his judging caused some controversy - and we had to pay him for the privilege.  So last year we asked one of our longstanding members to do it which again caused some controversy (impartiality?) although he was much more knowledgeable than the Council judge.

So I'm interested to hear how other allotment societies source their judges for produce shows.  We don't want to go completely over the top with strict adherence to RHS criteria so people are put off entering as we are trying to encourage more people to enter esp our newer plotholders who might be intimidated by the idea. 

Appreciate any advice

betula

• Hectare
Re: How to find a judge for Produce Show
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 12:44:55 »
Is there an allotment about ten miles away?..........could you contact the sec and ask is any well respected veg grower available for duty??

Just an idea   :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 13:06:25 »
As sound as any Betula... I judge for a horticultural group about ten miles away..
 :)

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 13:47:43 »
We are luck we had Peter Whiting the Chairman of the NLSA in our area do our first show, Im going to ask at a Nat Veg ass meeting for a judge for this year you could ask a local show winner to judge for you ??

Sue7

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 18:39:27 »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I had already planned to contact the other allotments in the same Borough (we are in London) to see if they have produce shows and if so, who judges theirs.  If that doesn't help us, then casting our net further afield is a very good idea.

Flowersofshona2007 - I'm not sure I really understanding what you mean by 'local show' winner.  Appreciate yr clarification

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 12:47:34 »
Contact the RHS, they have lists of local judges. ;)
You couldn't make it up!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 13:26:18 »
Wait until one fo the older, slower moving chaps from one of the other allotments isn't looking in the right direction and whack him over the head. Keep him concussed/drugged until the day while brainwashing him that he can solve all his problems by judging a vegetable show.

Simples.....

chrisc

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 13:30:36 »
LOL  Wonder how much the RHS charge though  ???

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 13:37:14 »
At your local horti show there is nearly always one exhibitor that sweeps the board and they are good ones to ask to judge for you  :D

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 16:38:04 »
LOL  Wonder how much the RHS charge though  ???
the RHS will have a list of local affiliated societies, you can then contact them, to see who they use. ;)
You couldn't make it up!

springs

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 15:44:23 »
we are lucky we always get a judge from the local agricultural college

Old Central

• Half Acre
  • One day we'll build some walls.
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 16:48:41 »
Sue

I am on a site in SW London and we judge another site's show. We have also used another site to judge our own show.

I hasten to add all have been on a friendly basis and it is not a very serious show, although the tasting table is enjoyable.

OC

Sue7

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 12:29:23 »
Thanks everyone who responded as there have been some helpful suggestions here and given me some ideas to discuss with the committee. 

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 15:08:47 »
If you go into the RHS website and then into publications you can download all the judges that are on their list also speakers. The RHS do not charge but each judge or speaker fixes their own rate. I usually judge most Saturdays from July to Sept and have never charged anything yet most societies give you a meal and make a social event out of it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal