Author Topic: Self-managed site tour  (Read 3307 times)

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Self-managed site tour
« on: February 02, 2010, 22:55:56 »
Hi

Our committee wants to have a tour of a self-managed site and discuss the pros and cons with a committee that's self-managing.  We'd really like to find a site that's less than an hour from Newbury in Berkshire.

Might that be you?  Would you be interested in giving us a little tour and talking to us about the sisues?

Thanks.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Self-managed site tour
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 07:46:49 »
sorry, Mate..it's a bit far, hope you get your tour  :)

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 07:50:35 »
same as manics,good luck
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 16:00:26 »
Our site is currently being voted on  - moving to self management, or increased costs and increased council involvement or staying the same. I would love to hear from experienced others about these. Maybe I need to start a new thread.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 18:02:04 »
Our site is currently being voted on  - moving to self management, or increased costs and increased council involvement or staying the same. I would love to hear from experienced others about these. Maybe I need to start a new thread.
I'd be interested to hear views on that too, though another thread is probably a good idea.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 06:56:34 »
You would be very welcome to come here.  Do you have the use of a helicopter?  :D

Seriously, We love to have visitors from other sites - a coach full came from Yorkshire last year and spent a Sunday morning with us.

Anyone else fancy a trip to Brum?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 18:48:30 »
Hi Squash, that's very kind indeed.  Birmingham's not really so very far.  I've told the committee about your site on a number of occaisons, particularly how much your open day raised for charity, that was very impressive. 

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 23:21:52 »
You'd be more than welcome to tour our site and discuss issues but it is only a small site, but can't see why it wouldn't work on a large scale, we are very organised  ;D  ;D

I think we are just over an hour away from you.

Sinbad

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 06:30:40 »
Hi Squash, that's very kind indeed.  Birmingham's not really so very far.  I've told the committee about your site on a number of occaisons, particularly how much your open day raised for charity, that was very impressive. 

Thank you Unwashed.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 09:00:53 »
We're totally independent, which is obviously a very different situation from yours, but if you want to see that perspective, you're welcome to visit.

From looking at Betty's website, her site has a lot more going on than ours, though!

delboy

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 09:32:28 »
Don't know if we are too far but our site is in Surrey(Chessington).

We had a culling of a couple of the old guard recently and now we are doubling the size of our site from 70 to 165 plots and trying to break away from the apathy that used to reign.

Kingston Council owns the site.

Derek
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 10:38:53 »
Sinbad, Trevor, delboy - that's very kind, thank you.  I'd like us to visit you all if possible.

What sort of time of year is best - before the Spring when things are quiet, or later when things are growing?  My committee thought later, but it's not like we're looking at how you grow stuff, it's really about how the site manageent works.  What do you think?

Thanks.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 13:06:43 »
Later when it's warmer!!

Our working parties start next month, so you might be interested in seeing what we're doing. (Bring spades and you can join in the trenching party!)

I'll pm you.

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 15:46:24 »
Hi Unwashed,

Anytime would suit us.

We have a committee of 5, so would hope that at any one time there would be 3 of us to meet with you.

Have you any idea of the issues you would like to discuss so I could get some paperwork together for you to see?

Sinbad

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal