Author Topic: Confused about clematis!  (Read 1314 times)

lewic

• Hectare
Confused about clematis!
« on: January 17, 2010, 16:02:18 »
I have several clematises, and am wondering what to do with them re pruning.

Read that the montanas shouldnt be pruned but have also read that you are supposed to cut them all down to 30cm in the first year to encourage growth, regardless of what group they are in.

My query is that I have just bought some (2 are montanas and 2 the larger hybrid type) and dont know whether they need cutting back in the spring or not. They are about 18" high and look dead at the mo, but have been assured that they are not! Does this count as the first year or are they older than that?

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Confused about clematis!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 17:52:23 »
If they're only 18" high there's not much to cut back anyway.

Montanas are group 1 which means they get cut back only when you need to reinvigorate them or control their spread.   This should be done immediately after flowerin is over in early to mid spring.

Large flowered hybrids are group 2 which means they get cut back after their first flowering period is over in June.    At this time you just cut back any weak or broken stems and dead-head the flowers.  In future, you can also take a third of the stems back to the lowest two pairs of buds if you need to invigorate it or control its spread.

All clematis are greedy and benefit from a good mulch of compost and a good feed of pelleted chicken manure or similar in spring.  Occasional treats of rose or tomato food between early March and June will also help encourage flowers.

Slugs adore fresh young clematis shoots so be prepared with some organic slug pellets and/or beer traps from mid Feb.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 17:54:28 by Obbelix »
Obxx - Vendée France

Monika

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 22:32:33 »
I put a good heap of sharp sand at the base of my clematis every year before they start sprouting and this stops any slug damage.
If at first you don't succeed, sky-diving is not for you.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 07:36:14 »
Thanks for the tips, especially about the slugs - never knew they ate clematis!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal