Author Topic: newbie rose advice  (Read 1629 times)

sarah

• Hectare
newbie rose advice
« on: January 21, 2010, 07:53:17 »
I rescued half a dozen rose bushes from the bins at my brothers new house a couple of weeks ago.  He had dug them up before xmas and they had been out of the ground for probably a good week or two before i found them.

I have planted them in the only bit of spare ground I have just to try and save them but I have no idea if they will survive. I also have no idea what type of roses they are (climbers or bush or what ever). Are there any tell-tale signs as to type? I haven't the first clue about roses and would appreciate any advice as to if there is anything I can do to help them along a bit. If they survive I will move them to better locations.

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
Re: newbie rose advice
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 09:06:29 »
provided he's dug up enough root they ought to survive - they are pretty dormant right now.  i'm not sure how you tell is they are climbers etc at this time of year though....

Hope they come to something and they give you lots of pleasure.

Si

x

rdm51

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 22:11:31 »
Hi Sarah.
 Agree with what Psi says. and no way of telling what type of roses you have until they start into growth, Take it none of them had labels with names on as might be able to help if named.
 good luck with them
 Bob

jjt

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 23:35:48 »
How big are they? If they're 10 feet tall they're probably climbers. You could tidy them up a bit pruning wise. Cut out any obvious dead bits, right to the bottom if necessary. Assuming they're most likely bush types I'd cut all stems down to about a foot high, cut to just above an outward facing bud. You want an open structure not a tangled mess. Don't be scared to go hard, it's a shot to nothing and most roses like (or at least respond well to) hard pruning. You could wait until the forsythia flowers but really might as well act now while you remember.
 That's what I'd do anyway. If they end up looking like goers, you could obviously feed them as well.
        Oh yeah, and don't plant them too close.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 23:38:13 by jjt »

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 09:15:45 »
thanks for the great advice. 

No labels unfortunately.

Size wise there are about four that are about two and a half feet high and sort of bushy and they look the healthiest and actually have buds on now.  These ones look like they have been pruned by the previous owner. I think they may survive. The others are smaller and stragglier so not sure if they will make it. 

When I see what survives I will space them a bit better as they are bit too close together at mo.

What shall I feed them? I have spare manure from the veg garden.

Thanks all.

jjt

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 01:16:41 »
Manure is fine. Just dig some in to the soil when you move them.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 13:18:58 »
Leave as much root as you can, and keep them well watered till the end of the growing season, They should be OK.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 12:15:19 »
Live, Roses, Live. I'm sending them happy rose vibes  :) :) :) :) :)
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 19:15:54 »
 ;D. I'll post a piccy if they do.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal