Author Topic: PHONE NUMBER  (Read 1600 times)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
PHONE NUMBER
« on: January 21, 2010, 00:19:14 »
 Does anyone have a link or phone number to stop cold calling before i disconnect my phones, they are driving me mad i have a bad back at present & trying to get to answer is so uncomfortable  THEN when i do answer its THEM yet again.  I answered quite sharp tonight & it was one of my friends, but seriously they are getting on my bl***y nerves now.
Thank you . Buds.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Re: PHONE NUMBER
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 01:12:44 »
If your phone line is from BT there is a number you can call 0845 0700707. I did that some time ago and think it has stopped some of them, not all though. Drives you mad, doesn't it?

:-\

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 01:29:19 »
This is the web site you will want

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/

It has details and you can register.
It does not stop all calls, but when I do get a call, I just say I am registered with the telephone preference service and remind them it is now illegal to call me, and that is an end to it..... except those d**n recorded messages telling me I've won another holiday.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 08:24:58 »
When I get those I leave the phone off the hook till it starts beeping  ;) ;) ;)
The Tuscan Beaneater

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 09:02:47 »
I tell them they have reached a number that is used as a contact for a Domestic Abuse  crisis line and please would they remove my name ..they are usually very sorry and I have never got  repeat call from the ones I have connected with yet.

Works a treat for me.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 09:16:37 »
I have one of those phones which displays the number of the caller or if I have put their number in the phone, their name.

I just do not answer if it comes up as 'unavailable'  Has an 080 start or 'private', unless of course I am expecting a call fom a professional body.

I have an answering facility, so any one who calls me can leave a message. Of course 'they' never do.

The MPS is fine but there is a few loop holes. For example if you have an existing account with the company such as a bank who is trying to sell you insurance, then they are permitted to contact you even though you are registered with the mail or telephone preference service. Look out too for a little box on any forms you complete. They either ask you to tick if you do not want to be contacted or if you do. Make sure that you read them properly and tick the box correctly. Otherwise you are giving consent for them to contact you.

When you pick up the phone and there is a short silence or a click or two which are caused by  computerised number searches. The system iss programmed to go though  to an operator only when the phone is answered that often causes that short delay. Frequently these calls come from outside UK and are not controlled at all,  Usually they are scams

The MPS does take up to 5 weeks to stop unsolicited calls.

With mail, if they enclose a prepaid envelope make sure you send it back with the unwanted mailing inside and cross out your name and address and write
RFML. on it. Most firms do have old mailing lists and will Remove you from it if you write that on.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 14:10:47 »
I'm registered with the Preference Service & truth to tell, it works well for me EXCEPT the cold-calling ones from bleedin BT, my phone service provider ;D

Jeannine's idea, or saying you're something similar, sounds A1, tho 8)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 16:42:35 »
I get them bloody calls every night, so I've just registered.   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 17:25:42 »
just ask them "what are you wearing?" and see how quick the phone call ends, and they don't call back  ;) ;D ;D ;D
You couldn't make it up!

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 23:11:49 »
 Thank you all for your very helpfull replies, i shall get in touch with the appropriate peeps.

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 00:34:09 »
Thank you for this- I have registered!  These unwanted calls drive me mad, especially at mealtimes- hopefully we will have peace at last.

Vony

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 07:26:33 »
I just leave my answer phone on that tends them to put the phone down.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 12:32:23 »
Registered a few years ago and it's cut out about 90% which is bliss. The cheekiest imho are the ones that you answer and then it gives you options as if you've phoned them..."please hold"....errrrrr no.
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal