Author Topic: Yummy tasting waxy potatoes  (Read 6646 times)

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
Yummy tasting waxy potatoes
« on: January 20, 2010, 09:33:45 »
my daughter doesn't like potatoes (!) I'm thinking of growing waxy, yellow fleshed salad pots to try her on, as have tried, mashed, roasted, boiled, etc. Any suggestions for the very tastiest of this type?

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Re: Yummy tasting waxy potatoes
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 10:55:44 »
Ha!! I have a daughter of the same ilk  ::). She will only eat pasta and rice though. I particularly like yellow waxy potatoes but haven't managed to find any as yet, so I'm glad you asked reddyreddy.
Smile, it confuses people.

Digindep

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 11:31:10 »
here,s a few...Charlotte, PFA, Nicola, International Kidney,Rattle, Anya and Rosabella....there are loads more..this covers 1st  & 2nd earlies and Main crop.. :)
Born with nothing
 'Aint spent it yet

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 11:52:20 »
Is your daughter a child or adult?
Is it the flavour she doesn't like, or potatoes as they are "boring"?  because if so, she is unlikely to like waxy pots either...

I ask, as one can now buy tubers of Highland Burgandy Red and Salad Blue.  They are NOT waxy, but very floury and are RED or BLUE all the way through - so produce great red or blue mash potato...  I think its quite tasty too  ;D  great for adults who are kids are heart...  ::)  they are totally natural and are very old varieties.

See if she'll grow and look after them, and whether it will encourage her to eat them!  They have lovely flowers

obviously, one can add other things to mash potato - cabbage, onions, garlic, leeks, carrots, swede, etc, which can change the flavour... if its the flavour she doesn't like

Not sure if this is of any help...

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 11:58:21 »
Exquisa and Pink Fir Apple potatoes are my favourites. 

How old is your daughter reddyreddy?

Stevens706

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 11:59:56 »
I grow Charlotte, and would highly recommend them

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 12:19:58 »
i love pink fir and they make wonderful wedges in the oven

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 12:24:31 »
I tried Anya last season, but they weren't waxy in the slightest. Could the conditions ie. dry weather etc. make a difference? I am trying Charlotte this time.
Which spuds have you tried reddyreddy? I also like earthy tastering pots., any recommendations please?
Smile, it confuses people.

Yorkshire Sam

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 12:34:32 »
try growing anyas, they are a really sweet nutty early pot - my grandaughter mainlines  on them!

reddyreddy

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 16:09:46 »
Nice idea, thanks will definately try both of those, although mash is her least favourite, possibly the texture - BTW she is 5. She'd love to grow some herself and she was good last year sowing seeds etc.

Is your daughter a child or adult?
Is it the flavour she doesn't like, or potatoes as they are "boring"?  because if so, she is unlikely to like waxy pots either...

I ask, as one can now buy tubers of Highland Burgandy Red and Salad Blue.  They are NOT waxy, but very floury and are RED or BLUE all the way through - so produce great red or blue mash potato...  I think its quite tasty too  ;D  great for adults who are kids are heart...  ::)  they are totally natural and are very old varieties.

See if she'll grow and look after them, and whether it will encourage her to eat them!  They have lovely flowers

obviously, one can add other things to mash potato - cabbage, onions, garlic, leeks, carrots, swede, etc, which can change the flavour... if its the flavour she doesn't like

Not sure if this is of any help...

reddyreddy

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 16:12:50 »
I've tried zillions of potato types but just from a personal point of view I know my favourite potato is a yellow waxy salad potato, no particular variety as I've never grown them - don't know why?!! This year it'll feature highly! Any views on belle de fontanay?

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 16:19:49 »
I like Anya.  I steam them and find that it is almost impossible to overcook them (helpful if I have a Senior Moment and forget I'm cooking them)
They stay nice and firm and have a lovely flavour.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 17:08:42 »
Charlotte is one of the "standards". Pink Fir Apple, of course - although it's very late. I love Roseval, but it's very difficult to get hold of. Belle de Fontenay is good, but doesn't yield as much as Charlotte; Ratte is even tastier, but even smaller in yield.

But then different potatoes like different soils anyway. This is my experience on London clay.

If it's the texture she objects to - 5-year olds can be fussy eaters! - PFA have a very firm, almost un-potatoey texture. Or try cooking them in different ways: wedges? roast in goose fat, so that they're really crisp? (My grand-daughters love them like that.) potato pancakes? (I think they call these rosti nowadays.) potato salad? And certainly get her to help you plant them. And dig them up of course!!

Or buy a pasta machine....?

reddyreddy

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 18:46:08 »
pasta and rice are her staple carbs already! She will eat them as chips (of course), rosti or very small roast potatoes - so there is barely any fluffy potato left! Will research some of the suggested varieties, especially pfa which I've always wanted to try. Thanks all!

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 18:52:53 »
Nicola , yellow fleshed waxy potato, I grow it every year, pests  etc don't touch them.Fantastic with just a thingy of butter and eaten out the saucepan ;D

Even Sarah Raven thinks its fab, it's included in her new catalogue as a top favourite ;) / shades x
grow your own way

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 21:05:40 »
Very much enjoyed Moulin Rouge this/last year, red skin and tasty waxy flesh. I second Anya very scrummy, Bella De Fontanay I'm afraid is still on my to grow list!
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 00:34:31 »
i love pink fir and they make wonderful wedges in the oven

Absolutely .... if I had a kid that didn't like roast PFA I'd dump them off on the council and try again, some people aren't worth the effort :D....

reddyreddy

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 07:41:55 »
Now I have so many to choose from!

here is my 'short' list

PFA
Nicola
International kidney
anya
Charlotte
highland burgundy
salad blue

thankyou!!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 07:44:50 by reddyreddy »

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 07:56:13 »
highland burgundy
salad blue

Have fun with your list  :)
Remember, the above two are not waxy, but are fun!  You'll prob need to experiment with mixing with other foods to change the texture, as you say this is what she dislikes!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010, 09:06:30 »
Charlotte without a doubt XX nJeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal