Author Topic: Yummy tasting waxy potatoes  (Read 6645 times)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: Yummy tasting waxy potatoes
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2010, 09:42:58 »
Now I have so many to choose from!

here is my 'short' list

PFA
Nicola
International kidney
anya
Charlotte
highland burgundy
salad blue

thankyou!!

PM me your addy and I can send you a couple or three each of Highland Burgundy and Salad Blue..... when Alan Romans delivers them anyway...

chrisc

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010, 13:28:49 »
Thanks Chris, that would be ideal as I wouldn't really want more than 2 or 3 of those two. I already showed both my girls (3&5) the red and blue potatoes and they said they wanted to grow them themselves! I have two empty black bins so they can have one each and a blue and a red potato each to grow! Perfect!!  ;D

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 17:12:08 »
Thanks Chris, that would be ideal as I wouldn't really want more than 2 or 3 of those two. I already showed both my girls (3&5) the red and blue potatoes and they said they wanted to grow them themselves! I have two empty black bins so they can have one each and a blue and a red potato each to grow! Perfect!!  ;D

Clear your inbox out!! :D

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010, 17:28:21 »
done!  :D

greensausage

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2010, 11:26:32 »
I can recommend Juliet - grew them last year and will grow again this year.  Fantastic taste  ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2010, 00:56:30 »
I suspect if you give your children their own growing area the problem might heal itself. I did this with kids in school a few years ago, the gentle rule was" if you grow it, you eat it". We had non veggie kids eating all sorts of stuff, the really fun thing was listening to them verbally selling the idea of their veg to another kid who wasn't keen. Priceless..

Still say Charlotte, supposed to be second early but we grew it as a first and then left some to grow om, they actually grew quite large.

When you get your kids spud hooked don't forget the old wisdom" you can eat as many as you like,but you scrape your own".

Have fun

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2010, 12:51:44 »
Charlotte are excellent if they last, but last year they were the first to get blight, and succumbed in a few days. It's happened several years in a row so I'm looking for more resistant varieties this year.

delboy

• Acre
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2010, 11:34:07 »
Last year we were given some Blue Moon(blue/purple skinned) at the Whitchurch Potato Day to try out.

They were stunning and we've kept 20 or so back to grow again this year.

The taste was brilliant and they didn't fall apart even when my OH boiled them on full heat(plonker..)

Have tried to get more commercially, but they are still on trial.
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

tombrew

• Not So New ...
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2010, 15:42:32 »
Hi,laast year I grew belle de fontenay and they were rubbish -- the best earlies were Lady Christl

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2010, 16:47:29 »
I am a very fussy potato eater and really only like Desiree roast or baked.  Hate mash or new potatoes and certainly do not like them boiled.  My favourite way is roast with either herbs or chillie flakes sprinkled on.  I zap them in the microwave with a spray of oil until they are cooked and then either put in the oven or pan to brown with a bit of butter and herbs.  Anya and PFA are ok. King Ed, Red Duke of York  and Charlotte passable. 

Hate the metallic taste that many potatoes have.  I particularly hate any of the pentland ones. 

mokanoo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2010, 10:47:47 »
Just a suggestion but why not make Gnocchi out of them. They'll be something new, a different texture and you can cover them in a variety of sauces so that it looks like a pasta dish. I know...I sometimes have to tell a little white lie to my 4 year old to get her to eat her veg.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/basilgnocchiwithsimp_74596.shtml

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal