Author Topic: Sprout Problems  (Read 1522 times)

wetandcold

• Half Acre
    • Not on a gardening theme!
Sprout Problems
« on: November 01, 2004, 09:14:13 »
I am growing Brussels Sprouts for the first time this year and, although everything has been going fine up until now, I am starting to experience a problem. My nice small firm sprouts are starting to open up like little cabbages! The sprouts are currently about the size of large grapes and they are opening from the bottom of the stem upwards.

Does anybody know if I can stop this (assuming that it doesn't normally happen) and, if not, can I do anything next year to prevent it?

Thanks for your help.

Sarah-b

• Acre
Re:Sprout Problems
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 09:22:18 »
Hi W&C,
If you go back about 6 pages, you will see I asked the same question in a thread "Miserable Brussels". The answer I got was that I should have planted in firm ground. And I do think that was the problem as I only dug the ground in March. For next years brassicas, I am digging now and making sure I firm it down well.
The up side of the problem is that you can still eat the "blown" sprouts. They taste the same, but mine are hard to clean.
Good luck,
Sarah.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:Sprout Problems
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 11:00:29 »
"Soil Type.  Soils that are well drained with high organic matter is best for optimal growth. However, brussel sprouts may be grown on a variety of soils. Earlier crops are planted on light, sandier soil, while high yielding crops are planted in heavier soil. Liming the soil to a pH to make nutrients most available is recommended; however, brussel sprouts can tolerate a more acidic environment than other vegetables of this family.
    Temperature. Brussel sprouts are a cool season crop that grows best between 45 and 75°F with optimal growth at 60 to 65°F. Brassicas can withstand some freezing.
    In warm weather, sprouts become loose, forming more open heads, while cool weather firms the sprouts and leads to a milder flavor."

And don't forget that the tops are gourmet. = Tim

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal