Author Topic: Chriscross1966's squash and exotics swap  (Read 28206 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Re: Chriscross1966's squash and exotics swap
« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2010, 18:34:50 »
Good to know they've started to arrive :D..... I thought someone would point out the paper packs do reveal some slightly dodgy things about my past ....... won't say what though :D

crhisc

That you are a Grand Master of Origami?  ;)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2010, 19:12:07 »
Got mine today too...  :)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2010, 02:12:49 »
So that's Suzanne, Anemone and 1066 to go..... fingers crossed.....

chrisc

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2010, 07:42:20 »
Yup fingers crossed here

As well as my own two plots, and most of my neighbour's plot, I can see that I might need more space  :o

Now this is pure and simple - LAND GRABBING  ;D  ;D  ;D . So if the plot next to me doesn't get used this year (again..) I wonder.........

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2010, 10:10:42 »
Dear GrandMasterSquash,

Woooo Hooo
The squash has landed

;D  ;D  ;D

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2010, 10:38:02 »
Now this is pure and simple - LAND GRABBING  ;D  ;D  ;D . So if the plot next to me doesn't get used this year (again..) I wonder.........

Nothing wrong with a bit of land grabbing -  we call it 'Regeneration of Derelict Plots'!

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2010, 10:44:27 »
Hi just to let you know I got mine this morning. Lots of variety in there - thanks very much for organising this Chris.

Best wishes
Suzanne  :)

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2010, 16:51:51 »
You think of everyting Squash - will have to nick that terminology  ;)

And that "derelict plot" certainly looks like a very healthy pumpkin patch to me  ;D

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2010, 18:11:05 »
You think of everyting Squash - will have to nick that terminology  ;)

And that "derelict plot" certainly looks like a very healthy pumpkin patch to me  ;D

Just had a look through my photos and found a few more so I've started a new thread about it.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2010, 01:40:58 »
So Anemone to go..... and she's only  a couple of miles from my office ::)

chrisc

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2010, 16:08:20 »
I've just found a little bag with 2x Tromba di Albnga seeds in it on the floor under my desk.... is anyone missing them?.. After I fouind the other two potimarron seeds I also discovered a couple of other extras that I hadn't counted, but everyone should ahve what I'd listed against their names earlier in the thread with maybe the odd extra.... if someone is missing their Troba's please tell me and  I'll post them out

chrisc

anemone

• Half Acre
« Reply #91 on: March 07, 2010, 21:11:10 »
Mine arrived too ! So exciting, there are sooo many nice things to try. I can't wait to start growing them but then  still have to figure out how/where to squeeze everything in.  Some really nice surprises too, my little boy is very happy with the strawberry popcorn :)

Thanks so much Chris, what a mammoth task you've had sorting all these seeds out ! And thanks to everyone else too for all the fab stuff to sow !!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #92 on: March 07, 2010, 21:24:55 »
W00t! as we say in the IT industry...... I've been pacing out ground at the plot today and I think I can have 60 square metres for winter squash... I might well pop spares in other places, and the Atlantic Giants (and possibly the Tonda Padana's and Becky's will go in in the garden... we lost a whole load of pumpkins this year on  our site so I want to keep the biggies somewhere I can see them.....

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2010, 23:19:06 »
OK folks, hows everyone's squash doing...  The house move I had in late March combined with the weather meant I was late planting and have only just put out the squashes in the last week oir so (barring the Atlantic Giants which went out a couple fo weeks ago... that said they all seem to be racing away now as soon as they get in the ground....

BTW, never grown summer squash before and now have Summer crooknecks, rugosa friuliana and tondo di toscana in.... what should I be looking for with them as a trigger to harvest?

chrisc

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2010, 13:59:12 »
My squash all seem to be doing really well so far. Have started cropping the courgettes, of the swap seed have had 2 lovely Tondo di Toscana and the patty pans are flowering although not picked any yet.
I requested butternut squashes - pleased to report that 2 Hunters and 2 Walthams planted on top of the pallet compost heap with added bags of horse manure are taking off - and so they should! Also have a Violina Moschata making a bid for freedom.
Hoping for an excellent squash season - but time will tell! Hope the swap will be repeated next year.

leesa662000

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #95 on: July 13, 2010, 17:01:25 »
Ohh...is it too late to join?

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #96 on: July 13, 2010, 17:18:46 »

Too late this year but we'll be spooling one up for next year, probably around October once we can get all teh reports in from who's grown what....  This year I've ended up with a ridiculous amount of squash (if you include the courgettes, summer squash and pumpkins in then over 70 plants) .... I think that put me somewhere in the middle of thios group if everyone grew everything :D.... The general plan for the next one is to be looking at the swap befiore we order seeds, to each order from seperate sources (or possibly club together for a big order from one of the US suppliers for some of us).... That way we should maximize coverage and minimise unneeded repeats.....

chrisc

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #97 on: July 14, 2010, 14:57:00 »

Too late this year but we'll be spooling one up for next year, probably around October once we can get all teh reports in from who's grown what....  This year I've ended up with a ridiculous amount of squash (if you include the courgettes, summer squash and pumpkins in then over 70 plants) .... I think that put me somewhere in the middle of thios group if everyone grew everything :D.... The general plan for the next one is to be looking at the swap befiore we order seeds, to each order from seperate sources (or possibly club together for a big order from one of the US suppliers for some of us).... That way we should maximize coverage and minimise unneeded repeats.....

chrisc

So Chris, you are def doing another one. GOODY, i shall hopefully have some seeds and can join in this time.

Kxx

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #98 on: August 14, 2010, 15:25:41 »
Message for whoever it was that put the TOndo di Padana seeds in...I think the mother plant must have been a bit of a trollop cos I've got several squashes coming through that are not quite what you'd expect :D...... I'm wondering what they'll turn into but one of them is an amazing green/yellow bicolour......

anemone

• Half Acre
« Reply #99 on: August 15, 2010, 22:14:27 »
The Tondo di Toscana's are really lovely. For some reason round courgettes didn't really appeal to me, i just grew them because they were sent.  I've changed my view now though and will grow them again next year.

I have some tiny crookneck squashes growing so looking forward to sampling them.  Other squashes are doing well too I have quite a few on the bush buttercup and I noticed some baby butternuts yesterday.  Some have still to flower like the Cornells Delicata, i hope there is still time for it. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal