Author Topic: No eggs  (Read 4033 times)

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
No eggs
« on: December 27, 2009, 09:54:44 »
Hows folks chickens doing? Have'nt had an egg off my Eleven for above a week, was getting 2-3 before the cold snap. Going to have to buy some for the first time in 5 years.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: No eggs
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 09:59:04 »
we're getting between 2 to 4 eggs per day out of 12, there are 4 of us looking after them so we manage about 6 per week each, lost one on christmas eve, wonder if they are wearing out, being ex batts  :-\

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 10:05:37 »
No difference with the weather then? You could'nt drop us a few off could you till mine perk up again. I Won't enjoy buying them.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 10:13:18 »
sorry, matey, can't get there at the mo(2 sticks,ice,  a slope and wonky legs), the other 3 are doing the honours until it thaws, don't go to the co-op, apparently they're 1.52 for 6 supposed to be large, more like our smallest  ::) ;D

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 10:15:02 »
2-3 a day from 6 hens at the mo. Just enough to keep us and the parents in eggs.  :)

PS what breed you got? Only my warrens are laying consistently.
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 10:16:26 »
No chance our coop on the high streets just closed. Take it steady Manics.

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 10:21:48 »
Hello Robin. 3 Warrens, 3 light sussex, 2 cuckoo marrens( off Kes's mate) 1 whitte star 1 bluebell and 1 polish bantie. The marrens days are numbered anyway since i found out you can eat them. The others are between 3-5 years so this might be their last summer.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 13:24:18 »
Average of 2-3 daily from 5 White Leghorns and 5 Blackrocks.  With great disappointment we have had to buy some today for the first time since I can't remember when.... :(
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 18:52:15 »
Mine are still laying 5-8 a day from 4 ex bats 1 white Sussex and 3 silver link  ;D They enjoyed their Christmas dinner too plus I'm giving them meal worms as a treat every now and then. I let them out every day to have a scratch around the garden. we have too chicken sit though  ::) There is a neighbourhood fox seen every now and then  :P

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 12:10:10 »
I am chicken sitting ATM & getting 2 a day from 3 hens. Do hens like porridge? Thinking of making some for them. ;).

marc555

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 16:49:31 »
Im still getting 4 eggs from 4 hens, they are gold lines excellent layers been a few weeks since I've had double yolks off them but im not complaining.
My mate down the allotment gave his some porridge and he said they loved it

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 17:20:56 »
I give my two chooks at home porridge oats raw they love them!  I am still getting on every other day from these two that have consistently laid one a day for 2 years.   They are ex batts.

My ones up the lotty are not doing so well.  I only got them in May but I am getting two possibly a day and one of them is breaking and eating one of them!  One is poorly and I think I will have to do the dirty deed tomorrow.  Only problem I am very squeamish and it will be a first!!  I have a very large sharp knife and a block of wood so - unless anyone knows of another better way - I will have to do it.

Old Bird

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 17:25:26 »
Good luck, OB! Keep reminding yourself that it is the most humane thing to do. Personally I'd ring her neck, but I don't think there's much in it. It's horrible how long they wriggle for either way.

We still have 2 or 3 a day from 3 ladies but they're only just over a year old. I'm afraid they are a utility animal and will be dispatched when they stop laying. Well, that's the theory... we'll see!

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 17:29:12 »
Thanks for that Olly - I would have absolute nightmares if her head fell off in my hands - which i have heard can happen???

You never know she may die overnight - here's hoping!

OB

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 10:42:25 »
Yessss. Have'nt had to buy any one yesterday and one just now. Porridge mine love it, i put poultry spice in it or cod liver oil to keep em lubed. Don't you know anyone who can do it for you Old bird? I can't.

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 19:44:44 »
still no eggs for me. almost 3 months now! i've sucomed to putting a light in there coop. on a timer.(low energy bulb aswell) so lets hope it kicks em into gear a bit. i hope.

i keep threatening them with the carving knife but even that dont work....lol

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 20:11:20 »
I took some porridge over for the girls today & they were trying to get out to get to it. They have the eglu omlette. What a doddle to clean out. It took no time at all. Lots of goodies for the composter ;D ;D ;D.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 20:35:57 »
took all the cooked peelings from last night's meal, parsnips, carrots, cauli, sprouts and spuds, they fought over them, got 5 eggs today  ;D

RW

• Quarter Acre
    • The Poultry Guide
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2009, 23:19:33 »
3 eggs a day from 4 hens at home (1 hen is not laying).

The lights make a big difference. Lights go on 6 to 8.30am and 4 to 8pm.

In the evening they just don't want to go to bed and reluctantly go in the coop at 8pm.

BockingBill

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2010, 11:07:37 »
Somebody mentioned on another thread that once the shortest day was over the chooks would start laying again. Blow me down - come the 22nd December one of ours started laying after about 7 weeks sabattical and now another one started yesterday.  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal