Author Topic: Building a chicken house?  (Read 8243 times)

keepondiggin

• Quarter Acre
Building a chicken house?
« on: December 21, 2009, 17:03:36 »
Hi just wondered if anyone has any experience of building their own chicken house for their allotment- as cheap as possible but also strong enough to keep any predators out?What materials have you used etc I would like to use reclaimed/recycled wood etc as much as possibel. if anyone can post a pic as well would really appreciate it

RW

• Quarter Acre
    • The Poultry Guide
Re: Building a chicken house?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 20:16:21 »
How many chickens do you to keep?

keepondiggin

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 20:27:04 »
I'm looking to start off with 3-4 then maybe increasing to approx 6

RW

• Quarter Acre
    • The Poultry Guide
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 18:47:55 »
Perhaps you can do something with recycled pallets but note that wood can be hiding places for red mites. I like the plastic coops which are easy to clean (in winter they need extra bedding material to keep the chickens warm). If possible build the coop on legs at least 18inches high to prevent mice and rats making a home underneath the coop. 

Alex Rowe

• Not So New ...
    • Growing Tomato Seeds
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 20:20:48 »
I'm not sure exactly how to go about making a chicken coop, I had one made for me by someone locally and it proved to be much cheaper than buying a ready made one and was of a fantastic quality. I know that really isn't useful for you but maybe this site will give you ideas...

http://www.backyardchickens.com/coopdesigns.html

There are some fantastic home made chicken coops there many made from wood so there may be something there that gives you something to think about when making your own chicken coops. There are a ton of different pictures on that site though.

Cheers
- Alex

keepondiggin

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 20:30:38 »
Thank you for your replies- I'm also considering maybe using a plastic storage shed type of thing and converting it with a pop hole leading into a run-though not sure how windproof and sturdy it would be-I suppose I could put some blocks in the base?

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 08:56:59 »

keepondiggin

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 17:18:29 »
Yes  thanks that looks like a good idea and should be easy enough to keep clean-has anyone used a plastic shed with success? just need to be on the look out for a plastic shed now....

jono

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 07:35:34 »
Hi there where are you based? I have just built a new coup from old container wood big enough for 8-10 birds. Have you checked that you can keep chickens at your allotment as mine are at home as I cant keep them at the allotment, its that bad i'm in arguments about bee keeping on the site! Surely it will just benifit everyone!!

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 10:40:16 »
We used an old shed from freecycle and converted that......
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

Ofer

• Not So New ...
    • Easy enviro gardening products
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 12:37:15 »
Just a suggestion,

rigid but flexible plastic in roll - easy to  drill to wooden posts and create any shape.

Non expensive / easy to wash - last well

take a look at the raised beds in a roll:

recycled plastic;

Ads Not Allowed

« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 23:00:42 by Admin aka Dan »
Yours

Ofer

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 13:00:56 »
Hi - my only reservatiion with the plastic sheds is that they have no insulation whatsoever so will either be really really cold in the winter and will also have condensation on walls and roof and in summer could cook your birds!

The idea looks good but I would worry also about foxes as they are really really good at breaking into chicken houses and if they can break into wooden ones - I would imagine that unless purpose built like the eglus they would be no match for foxes.

Good luck either way - show us a piccy when you finish!

O B
 ;D

keepondiggin

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 19:36:02 »
I'm in Lancashire and we are OK to keep chickens on the allotment so will be fine.

I still like the idea of converting a shed but maybe a wooden one and making a permanent run from some security heras fencing with netting on top.It will be a while before there is any finished project but will post some pictures eventually!!

Anyway plenty to think about now and thanks again for everyone's replies

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 19:44:25 »
Hi there where are you based? I have just built a new coup from old container wood big enough for 8-10 birds. Have you checked that you can keep chickens at your allotment as mine are at home as I cant keep them at the allotment, its that bad i'm in arguments about bee keeping on the site! Surely it will just benifit everyone!!
are you a beekeeper?
You couldn't make it up!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 20:34:02 »
Hiya, keepondiggin, you've been lookin' at our plans, 7x5 second hand shed, heras fencing and netting  ;D
here's some pics of ours in the making  ;D
woops, forgot the netting
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 20:37:54 by manicscousers »

keepondiggin

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 23:28:32 »
Hi Manic
That looks really good-have you completely enclosed the shed? I was thinking maybe 2 fences long for a run attached to the end of the shed with a pop hole at the side of the shed .How many chooks have you got in that size? I thought I would be able to access the shed through the door to check/collect eggs!/clean etc Are you putting an access gate in via the fencing run?

jono

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2009, 07:05:46 »
are you a beekeeper?
Not yet, was looking into it last year but drew a blank at the allotment but think I have found somewhere else now at the bottom of a friends farm. This will be my first year so any help and suggestions will be greatly recieved.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2009, 08:12:13 »
Hi Manic
That looks really good-have you completely enclosed the shed? I was thinking maybe 2 fences long for a run attached to the end of the shed with a pop hole at the side of the shed .How many chooks have you got in that size? I thought I would be able to access the shed through the door to check/collect eggs!/clean etc Are you putting an access gate in via the fencing run?
yes, we have completely enclosed it, the run is 44'x22', we were allowed 18 ex batts in a 7x5, now down to 12 so we're re-homing some more, maybe march..we have a small pop door in the front of the shed, that means we can access by the big shed for cleaning,, eggs etc, we have a big gate at the end of the run with a smaller gate, 4', I think just inside in case anyone leavs the big one open and they all escape..we have been letting them out for a rifle around the plots lately..hope you get yours sorted :)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 13:35:57 »
Not yet, was looking into it last year but drew a blank at the allotment but think I have found somewhere else now at the bottom of a friends farm. This will be my first year so any help and suggestions will be greatly recieved.
[/quote]

first things first, join your local Beekeeping society!! this should get you some training, access to local bees, and possible a 'mentor'
buy a copy of Ted Hoopers book, 'guide to bees and honey' (via the 'shop' tag at top of screen)
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php?page=10

after you read the book, feel free to ask as many Q's on here in the 'kept animals' section.
good luck! rgds, Tony (beekeeper)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 13:37:58 by tonybloke »
You couldn't make it up!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, 17:15:56 »
If you're south of the border, the contact for your local Beekeepers' Association should be on this page: http://www.britishbee.org.uk/local_associations_about_us.php . This is the time to join, as most have talks over the winter.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal