Author Topic: Cookies With A Hint Of Orange  (Read 2944 times)

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
Cookies With A Hint Of Orange
« on: December 15, 2009, 22:46:01 »
I got this recipe for choc chip cookies from Sparkly (A4A).....

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,48518.0.html

You couldn't dream of a better recipe, my wife takes them into work and they are always in demand at the kids schools...

One of the kids asked if I could make them with a hint of orange but no matter what I try I simply can't get it right, any idea?

If not.... Try making the cooks anyway.

(for a fan assisted oven cook for 8.30 mins and turn the trays at 4.15)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Cookies With A Hint Of Orange
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 12:16:47 »
(sound of distant bells ringing, here...)

I used to make orange flavoured little cakes, years ago, and I'm sure I used some sort of orange essence - couple of drops, I think. 'Spect that it would be found by the Almond/Vanilla essences in the s/markets?

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 12:52:59 »
You can buy orange oil from Lakeland but beware, it's very strong so one drop at a time.  You could also grate in some zest of orange but make sure they've not been treated.
Obxx - Vendée France

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 20:07:18 »
I remember that my little bottle of orange essence came packaged in one of those drop-at-a-time bottles. I used also to add grated orange peel (from un-waxed fruit) but any grated bits that happened to be at the top of the little cakes used to be burnt before the cakes were cooked :-\

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 20:38:56 »
I have some Dr Oetker natural orange extract, would that do and if so any idea how much I should use? as I don't think it will be as strong as orange oil.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 21:40:41 »
I got this recipe for choc chip cookies from Sparkly (A4A).....

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,48518.0.html

You couldn't dream of a better recipe, my wife takes them into work and they are always in demand at the kids schools...

One of the kids asked if I could make them with a hint of orange but no matter what I try I simply can't get it right, any idea?

If not.... Try making the cooks anyway.

(for a fan assisted oven cook for 8.30 mins and turn the trays at 4.15)

;D ;D ;D

Am well chuffed that you love the recipe. Will tell my mum!

Haven't got any tips for the orange, but Ant says use broken up terry's chocolate orange!

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 22:17:47 »
;D ;D ;D

Am well chuffed that you love the recipe. Will tell my mum!

Haven't got any tips for the orange, but Ant says use broken up terry's chocolate orange!

Its an amazing recipe Sparkly, I also use the same one for white choc chips and if I spent all day baking there would still be demand for them.

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 22:37:43 »
Still waiting for my order ...  ;) ;D

Think I'll give this recipe a go over the weekend :)

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 19:51:03 »
 can some one please explain. what does this mean with regard to baking your cookies,

for a fan assisted oven cook for 8.30 mins and turn the trays at 4.15)

I have true convection  3 heaters and fan can have convect or not.. but I don't know what this means...   thanks.. qahtan

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 21:59:20 »
can some one please explain. what does this mean with regard to baking your cookies,

for a fan assisted oven cook for 8.30 mins and turn the trays at 4.15

I have true convection  3 heaters and fan can have convect or not.. but I don't know what this means...   thanks.. qahtan

If you are using the fan then reduce the cooking time to 8 minutes 30 seconds (rather than the 10-12 minutes in the original recipe) & rotate the baking tray 180 degrees halfway through the cooking time.
Turning the tray would only be necessary on a lower quality oven which only has 2 heating elements rather than three so you can omit that step.

I have some Dr Oetker natural orange extract, would that do and if so any idea how much I should use? as I don't think it will be as strong as orange oil.
It will be almost as strong, depending on your taste you will need 1/4 - 1/2 a teaspoon full.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 21:11:30 »
I always grate orange zest into dough mix for that hint of orange and to make them super yum use Terry's choc orange for your chips.  ;)
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 16:13:40 »
Made this cooke recipe yesterday...........bang goes my diet ;D I can't rememeber who gave me the ginger hollows recipe but they have had lots of compliments from peolpe that i've made them for and i thing this recipe with be the same. So thanks for two really good recipes :)

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 21:06:04 »
I just baked a batch using Terry's Chocolate Orange as the chips and they are great.  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal