Author Topic: Cats again  (Read 2334 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Cats again
« on: November 26, 2009, 17:22:19 »
Well have shut the cat flap (one way), so terrible twins can't get in but Charlie can get out.  OK in the day as I can let Charlie in but last night (he is an old cat) went out for a pee and got locked out all night.  Looked so upset this morning sitting on the step and now he is frightened to use the cat flap.  Think I may have to put a cat litter tray down or stay up all night opening and shutting the door and standing guard with my water pistol.  I don't understand that if the lady who owns them and loves them so much and says her cat flap is open all day why they never go home, blue collar was asleep in my plastic Argos greenhouse, I leave the door of the greenhouse open, seems to stop it blowing away in the wind.  If my cat was missing for a day I would knock on all the doors to find him and she hasn't bothered once.  I don't want it in as it keeps scratching and had a flea problem once before and don't want that again and Charlie has frontline on and can't really frontline her cat without permission, so sorry cat but you will have to sleep rough.  Can see it a problem in the summer when I want my back door open.  The water pistol is quite effective and only have to pick it up, not spray them with water, will progress to the garden hose soon. That cat has very good hearing as when I put some washing on the line it is there in a flash, I don't mind shutting it out tonight as it is not raining and there are no fireworks. 

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Re: Cats again
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 18:27:34 »
It's such a shame that you are having these problems with the cats and that the owner is blaming you.  I think it should be the other way round - you should be complaining to her!  Surely the owner should be making sure her cats stay in her house, rather than you having to lock them out of yours?  It isn't fair that your own cat has to be locked out all night. 

I know that some people keep their cats indoors all the time, couldn't she do this till they get used to where they are supposed to be living? 

I've never had a cat (although I do like them) so maybe this is completely impractical. 
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 18:06:30 »
I use to have a problem with unwanted cats using our cat-flap and scaring my late liver-lillied tom cat to bits.  I finally bought a cat flap with a "key", a magnet that you attach to the cat's collar.  I am not really into cats wearing collars, but it was well worth it to make their lives more peaceful.  I am not sure if this was covered in a previous threa, but it is definately worth a shot.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 18:16:58 »
Charlie is 12 and has never worn a collar, I have seen cats killed in the past with collars, caught in trees, so will not do that.  Also I like my back door open when I am cooking and in the summer.  Blue collar came in last night and I went to bed but my partner was up late and don't know what he did to the cat but he wouldn't hurt it but it has disappeared,  but thought all was OK today until tonight and it is back again.  Perhaps she will learn to keep it/them in.  Think I may have to get cat litter and a tray for Charlie and keep the cat flap shut at night.  Just off downstairs with the water spray or perhaps the hose if I feel really mean.

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 18:45:49 »
It is difficult.  When my dogs broke my 6th cat flap in two years we decided to close the hole and let them in and out.  I am at home most of the time but one of our three decided to poo in the open loft rather than wait to be let in and out.  Now we have a 'cat friendly box' over the new cat flap so the dogs cannot get their heads through and break it.  I did notice though that almost never go out at night.

I am sure that it would be worth a go with a litter tray for Charlie, they do seem to instinctivley know how to use them.  When the light nights come back he will probably be quite happy to come in at your bedtime and not need the tray.

Just one things about the collars, I really do not like them either so I bought the 'slip off' ones and removed the bell.  My cats at the time were older and had no problem with these.  I think peace of mind, and watching 'the enemy' chase him in and smack into the flap was worth it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal