Author Topic: Lactose free puddings  (Read 16892 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Lactose free puddings
« on: November 16, 2009, 12:12:38 »
Hi

I always struggle to think of nice puddings that are lactose free - and by this I mean all milk, cream, butter, cheese and yogurt! Although having said that I can tolerate a small amount of yogurt. Some of the substitute ingredients are okish, I find the soya based spreads (butter) very oily and not brilliant to bake with, and tend to use Soya milk if a recipe calls for milk and find this is ok.
So can any of you clever cooks help me out with some inspiring recipes? It's the one thing I struggle with - particularly when cooking for family or friends - there's only so much fruit you can dish out  ;)

Thanks

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Re: Lactose free puddings
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 12:47:09 »
There are 194 lactose free dessert recipes here to get you started:
http://allrecipes.com/recipes/healthy-cooking/dairy-free/desserts/ViewAll.aspx

Sholls

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 13:29:22 »
It might also be worth checking out some vegan cookbooks or websites. I've a friend who swears by Isa Chandra Moskowitz's efforts & because I'm not a great fan of dairy she often 'forces' me to eat the results; not that I'm complaining, last night was a sticky steamed lime pudding with vanilla 'cream'.  ;D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 13:42:03 »
Have you tried out the recipezaar site.  You just put in what you want to eat and what you don't and it comes up with loads of recipes for most things.

They have 783 Lactose free dessert recipes.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 13:47:05 by Digeroo »

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 14:01:36 »
we now use the lacto free milk, you can get cheese and yoghurt  ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 14:39:40 »
Presumably you know about "Swedish Glace" which is a lactose free ice cream. Alpro do a range of "soya desserts" and a vanilla yogurt which are reasonably palatable...  :)

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 15:09:23 »
thanks for the suggestions and links peops. Certainly some new sites and ideas to try out - I love the idea of lime and basil sorbet, but maybe that's one for summer  :)
And I hadn't come accross Isa Chandra's recipies before - and now I want sticky steamed lime pudding with vanilla 'cream'   ;D

I'm not too fond of the soya yogurts and deserts, I find Alpro too sweet and floury in taste for me. And have to agree the swedish glace ice cream is very good

I've also tried searching for Japanese / Asian recipies as dairy isn't really in the diet - and of course they use pumpkins in puddings  ;D (the kabocha ones in particular)

But it's always nice to have recomended recipies ;)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 19:18:15 »
I use Pure sunflower margarine. Took a cake I had made to Sadad's open day & he didn't complain. It was a mincemeat cake that I make all year round. I can give you the recipe if you would like it.

Sholls

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 19:44:01 »
And I hadn't come accross Isa Chandra's recipies before - and now I want sticky steamed lime pudding with vanilla 'cream'   ;D

My friend is off on a work trip at the mo' but I plan to demand the recipe when she returns. I already have plans to add a touch of ginger to the sponge, ;) The 'cream' doesn't need any tweaking, it was truly spectacular.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 19:57:05 »
I am lactose intolerant too, I spent most of my childhood on penicillin, being fed full fat milk and cream etc. to 'build me up' and forced into a pixie hood to keep my ears warm. ::) If only my beloved Ma knew then what I know now. ;D
Have you tried Alpro Unsweetened soya milk or Teso soya milk? Not sweet at all. Also Alpro make a cream substitute, very good especially in scrambled egg or on porrige.
How about poached pears (in alcohol),or something made with coconut milk?I use Pure spread, no matter how much we crave butter we aint never gonna be able to eat it. :(
Smile, it confuses people.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 00:17:54 »
I use this cake recipe for people who can't tolerate gluten.  The other day I made it with grapeseed oil instead of butter for someone who is also lactose intolerant and she loved it - as did everyone else who tasted it:-

Almond and Poppy Seed Loaf

150g   butter
or
150ml grapeseed oil
100g   caster sugar
5   eggs, separated
2tbs   caster sugar
1tbs   baking powder
100g   poppy seed
200g   ground almonds

Heat the oven to 180C.   Grease and line a 1kg loaf tin.

Beat the butter or oil with the sugar till light and creamy, though if using oil it won't fluff up as much?  Don't worry, just mix throughly.   Then whisk in the egg yolks.  Add the poppy seeds and ground almonds and mix well.   The mixture may feel stiff at this stage.  Don't worry.

With a clean whisk, beat the egg whites till fairly firm then beat in the sugar and baking powder plus a pinch of salt.   Fold the egg whites into the butter mixture.

Pour into the tin and bake for about 60 minutes.   

Leave in the tin to cool then wrap in foil till ready to serve sliced.  Best made the day before needed so the flavours can develop.  Keeps 3 days but never lasts that long in my experience.

Obxx - Vendée France

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 06:51:25 »
It is hard work, my younger daughter has galactosaemia and 35+ years ago it was a nightmare trying to get food which was suitable for her and we learned then that there were also galactosides which are present in pulses, at the time no one was sure whether or not these would effect in the same way as the lactose so soya was out as well.

I had only Tomor margarine which, due to the diet restriction of not eating milk and meat at the same meal, Jews used. It is fine as a solid for making cakes but I have noticed that there are several dairy free spreads available.

Coffee mate is dairy free and is a suitable alternative for adding to drinks and can be used for creamy looking soups.

The food she was given as a baby was made by cow and gate and was coconut based. It made amazing yorkshire puddings. I have never been able to get them the same since the product was replaced with the soya substitute which they now say is safe.

There are several products on the market now, they have discovered that there is a product called lactase which pre-digests 98% of the lactose in milk and it is worth knowing that the lactose is actually in the whey so that for some people with a mild problem full fat cream, butter and cheeses are fine in small portions. Like a sprinkle of Parmesan on top of yer spag bol.

It is worth watching out with pre-manufactured foods too, they conceal things like calcium casenate in the product, it is a dirivitive of milk.

The worst problem of all is medication. Lactose is cheap and because the drugs we take would be too small without a filler, it is commonly added to drugs. So if you are taking pills for anything ask the chemist to check for you to see if there is an alternative without it. Don't rely on the doctor knowing so that he/she wont prescribe a drug for you which contains lactose because they do not have the lists the chemists have.

I have also found out more recently that lactose is used in the manufacture of cheap alcoholic white spirits, so watch out  if you go on those all inclusive holidays abroad where 'locally produced brands' are served.  If the tummy is unsettled, shall we say,  it could be the vodka or gin.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 07:34:12 »
Ooooo some lovely suggestions - THANKYOU  ;D

GrannyJanny yes please to the recipe it sounds great and as I said I'm always on the lookout for new things to cook 
And Obbelix - a big thank you ! like the sound of the combination of almonds and poppy seeds - will give that a go for sure

Sholls - get your friend back here now !! ;)

Emmaggie - your story sounds very similar to mine! I was given full fat cows milk (unpasteurised........) Nuff said. And we tried the lot - goat / sheep milk. Nothing worked. When I started working I paid to have the testing and sure enough the answers came back with what I knew already  ::) But hey ho, on we go - I love the pears in red wine dish and when we had a pear tree that was on the menu  but probably too often! And totally agree with you re the unsweetened soya milk, the Coop do a good one now, if I want sweeteners I'll add 'em meself  ;)

PurpleHeather - thank you for your post, it sounds like your daughter has a strong reaction. And it is amazing what they use lactose for - getting the flavourings for crisps to stick to the crisps is a classic one  :o . I know as an adult how hard it is and I always think its toughest for young kids

Thanks peops for the replies - and as the weather is looking pretty gloomy this week, I might just have to do some baking  ;D

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 07:50:01 »
These cookbooks are good:

Jane Sen, Healing Foods:  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Healing-Foods-Cookbook-Jane-Sen/dp/0722533225/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258443929&sr=8-2

Barbara Cousins Cooking without http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooking-Without-Made-Easy-Recipes/dp/0007198760/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258443977&sr=1-2

There are some lovely recipes for chocolate/nut truffles here
http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/Y/yawye/desserts.html

BTW you might be fine eating butter, as lactose is milk sugar, whereas butter is almost pure fat! It is healthier than soya/vegetable margarine, which is very processed and changes its chemical structure when heated.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 08:26:07 »
This is a very informative thread, thank you to 1066 for starting it.I will print off the info as some stuff I didn't know about, and I really fancy the cake ;D
I have a friend who is allergic (very) to any part of an egg and has now been diagnosed as caeliac as well. Will pass on the recipe sites and books suggested to her.
Smile, it confuses people.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 08:32:17 »
The worst problem of all is medication. Lactose is cheap and because the drugs we take would be too small without a filler, it is commonly added to drugs. So if you are taking pills for anything ask the chemist to check for you to see if there is an alternative without it. Don't rely on the doctor knowing so that he/she wont prescribe a drug for you which contains lactose because they do not have the lists the chemists have.

This is a real nightmare... almost all "immodium" type preparations are packed with it... but your pharmacist can get it as a "syrup" for small children and people who can't swallow tablets...

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 09:00:18 »
Lewic - thanks for the links. the Date, almond and walnut nut truffles sounds particularly good  8) . You are right about butter - it's mostly fat, and it does depend on the individual and how they react etc (it's a no no for me), and I do find that anything like cakes etc are harder to make with the soya substitutes (but then that might also be something to do with my c**p baking!)

Emmaggie - you're welcome, and I'm glad I asked now!

Saddad, the medicine thing is a pain. fortunately I'm not on any regular meds, but as you say pharmacists are a great source of information (I always ask them about the meds if I'm prescribed anything)

Anymore recipies folks  :D

Just thinking about cheese on toast  :-X 1 of the things I really miss   ;)  :'(

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2009, 21:04:36 »
1066 I've just put the recipe as a reply to Rosebud as she has lost her fruit cake recipe.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2009, 21:26:11 »
Don't talk to me about cheese.....  :'(

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 09:01:13 »
I have done some research with up to date information on lactose free items,

and found some recipes. I will give links rather than cut and paste

http://www.galactosaemia.com/diet-tourism/recipes.html   

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/3327/gluten+dairy+free+muffins

I used to find that keeping a pack of Royal Lemon merangue pie mix handy always made a good cold dessert, in stead of making the pie, fold the cooled lemon base into the beaten egg white, then put that mix into small dishes or wine glasses refrigerate and serve with a swirl of raspberry puree on top

It contains cornflour which is also fine for a both lactose and wheat free diet. It is rather nice, not unlike a lemon sorbet.

Most makes of Cornflakes and rice crispies are fine for a wheat free diet and they can be used to make the base for a dessert, like a cheesecake style sweet by altering the cornflake cake recipe which I feel sure we all have somewhere. Dark chocolate added to a solid fat (not the spreading sort) melted and crumbed cereal,  crush the same way you do digestive biscuits for the same thing and chpped  marsh mallows and nuts can be added for a change,

Marsh mallows should have been made with gum arabic. Which is fine  too People dip them in melted chocolate or toast them

Turkish delight can be made by using a jelly mix or by thickening fruit juice with cornflour. It needs cooking out so arrowroot  is a  better thickener.

I have made a coffee blanc mange by mixing corn flour with what is nothing more than a sweet milky coffee but using milk substitute.

Birds custard powder is just coloured flavoured cornflour.

Coconut milk or cream in tins or make it up from  powder. It can be poured straight or sweetened on to puddings.

I know during the war liquid parafin was used to make cakes because it was so hard to get fat, I have tried all over the place to find a recipe for it but can not. I do not even know if they still make the stuff.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal