Author Topic: Lactose free puddings  (Read 16891 times)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Lactose free puddings
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2009, 18:06:03 »
Tolerable thanks... no decline since stopped work. Not gone away either.  ::)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2009, 10:00:52 »
GrannyJanny - good to hear you have some energy again  :)

Obbelix  ~ the Orange cake was delicious ~ thank you  ;D  

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2009, 16:40:23 »
I'm so pleased you liked it.
Obxx - Vendée France

zigzig

• Acre
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2009, 07:32:44 »
I am surprised that no one has come up with the traditional 'chinese restaurant' sweet of chunks of apple or banana dipped into a tempora style batter (that is just flour with baking powder and water, a bit of cornflour if you like) then deep fried in very hot oil then served with either honey or golden syrup and if the dentures allow a sprinkle of sesame seeds or nut flakes.

Welsh pancakes can make a dessert too using substitutes for milk fill with dried fruit and dish up hot with a scoop of ice cold sorbet.

War time batch cake

8oz SR flour
pinch of salt
pinch of mix spice
3oz (lard or dripping)
3oz sugar
4oz dried fruit
milk to mix (so soya will do)

It is the rub in mix fat sugar and flour like a crumble then add fruit and bind together with milk. Rather like Irish soda bread. bake 20mins 450f (I think that is 190C)

EGGLESS CAKE method

8oz SR flour
2oz fat
4oz sugar
half  teasooon mixed spice

6ox mixed dreid fruit
half  teasooon mixed spice

half teaspoon bicarb
quarter pint of milk
1 table spoon white vinegar.

again rub in  fat to flour and sugar then add the fruit

next bit has to be done quick

mix the bicarb with the milk in a separate dish add vinegar and add at once to the mix

put into a square tin and bake 35 mins 350F ( 160C?)

My favourite and I have made this a lot is the
Boiled fruit cake on which plumps up the fruit.

6oz dried fruit
3oz fat
4oz sugar
quarter pint of water

8oz plain flour
1 teasp baking powder
pinch or mixed spice and nutmeg
half a tesp bicarb

boil the fruit fat sugar and water and let it simmer for about 10 mins then turn off heat and allow to cool

then pour the cooled mix on to the dry ingredients and mix together but do not beat.

a six inch round cake tin here, 350f for 1and a half to two hours until firm to the touch.

if you want to use that for a christmas cake then add some gravey browing to the water or use a darker sugar even treacle wont hurt it.

Another eggless one made in a loaf tin
12oz flour
6oz fat
6oz sugar
12oz mix of nuts and dried fruit (any will do such as cherries or apricots chopped)
half a pint of apple puree
three quarters of a teasp of bicarb
2-3 tablespoons milk (or substitute) to mix

Topping for cake

1 tablespoon nuts and fruit
1dessert spoon sugar
half a teaspon cinnamon

rub in again

then add apple puree

mix bicarb with milk and stir that in last

It says use an 8" X 5" cake tin but it goes in a loaf tin if you don't have one that size.
375f 1hour 30 mins

Parkin

8oz s.r flour
half a teaspoon of bicarb
8oz oatmeal
2 teasp ginger
half teaspoon mixed spice

4oz brown sugar
8oz treacle
4oz dripping

melt the sugar treacle and dripping together and add to the dry ingredients then put in a square tin and bake for an hour. 325F

It does sink in the middle but don't do what a mate of mine did and make it without the bicarb because she did not have any. It is the raising agent and is vital.

All those can be served hot with a custard as a hot winter pud.

zigzig

• Acre
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2009, 08:04:07 »
I forgot

Mock cream

quarter pint of milk substiture with half an oz of cornflour heat together slowly til it comes to the boil, then and keep beating it until it is cold.

You can stand the pan in ice water to speed the cooling

beat 1 oz icing sugar into 1oz of butter substitute

beat the cold milk and cornflour with the butter and sugar, add vanilla essense for flavour.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2009, 08:14:40 »
ZigZig - thanks for those and yes you are right about the fried bananas - naughty but nice  :D

And thanks for all the other ideas - it's going to take me a while to work through this list!

And how could I have forgotten Parkin  :o

1066  ;D

Plum

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2009, 10:55:26 »
Grandaughter definitely needs dairy free diet(as well as egg free). Going to be fun catering for family get together.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2009, 18:00:39 »
Sorry to hear that Plum. You will have to wear your inventive hat in the kitchen  :)

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2009, 08:17:24 »
There is not a big problem with the diet Plum once you know. Especially if you are doing the catering. I found it easier to cook from scratch rather than buy ready made stuff in the end.

We found with my daughter that if there was something we were all having and she needed a special for her that if we served her first that she would not notice what the others had so much because she was looking at her own plate.

Just try to make it look the same if you can.

It gets to be murder when they go to school and then when they are off to other kids birthday and christmas parties.

Particularly because so many people have not got a clue what is in food. They have never had to check, so their only problem is what is liked and disliked. Either they get over protective and the kid is told they can not have what they can. Or they are totally slap dash and give them something like a milkshake to drink with a custard tart to eat.

Often with these cases a little occasionally is not going to do much harm, unlike the nut thing where the slightest whiff of a nut can be devastating. They don't always tell you that at the doctors or dieticians because they fear you wont stick to the diet if they do.

We did learn to try not to discuss it in front of her when she was little though. She got very upset by being different and there was often one person at a family gathering who would try to turn it into a conversation piece. Usually an older family member who had been brought up to believe that children should be invisible and could not hear and had no feelings.

They would say things like. ' woman down our street had a child with ++++++ they died before they were 10. Or they would ask "will she ever be normal?"

Just that one remark would set her off worrying as she got older.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal