Author Topic: vegetable seeds  (Read 3813 times)

torquil

• Quarter Acre
vegetable seeds
« on: November 13, 2009, 11:17:52 »
have just visiteda new website called capital gardens.co.uk found suttons seeds and thompson morgan with 25% off price of most seeds. just thought pass on information  ;D ;D

springs

• Half Acre
Re: vegetable seeds
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 12:04:22 »
have a look at moles seeds you buy by weight,  Great value i have used them for the last three years

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 15:54:14 »
I subscribe to which? Gardening ... read this ...

Seed Supplier Trials

The best with 83% was Nicky's Nursery 94% germination and Suttons 83%  overall with 86% germination the least favourable was Simpson's 46% with 42% germination

The legal minimum for germination is aparantly 80%  ... food for thought!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 16:00:48 by flowerlady »
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 16:38:14 »
Anyone read the full article? I'm not paying just to read the one! There have been legal standards for vegetable seed since the late 19th Century, but they never used to apply to flower seed, so they've been able to sell seed of things like Meconopsis which will be dead long before they leave the garden centre. I don't know what EU law would have to say on the subject, but dead seed isn't fit for purpose. Perhaps we should be doing germination tests and going to Trading Standards!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 16:47:36 »
Yes My Lady - but a lot can happen in 2 years?

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 17:19:50 »
been haveing trouble germinating pea seeds for years
now sowing dried peas from morrisons, not big pods, but at least you get 100% germination
and a d**n sight cheaper.   :D

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 17:30:16 »
Yes My Lady - but a lot can happen in 2 years?

oops didn't see the date on that link ... but the report I relate to was in this October's issue  ... 

I have the issue here so if any particular company is of interest tell me which one and I will put up their result.

To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 17:42:16 »
Before having any dealings with Capital Gardens, I would read this thread if I were you.....

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,55270.0.html

I will never use them again! >:( >:( >:(
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Sholls

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 18:10:44 »
I've had issues with Capital Gardens too & couldn't possibly recommend them. Garden4Less frequently discount T&M seeds and unlike CG they actually fulfil their orders (in my experience); another bonus, their P&P is approximately half that of T&M.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 18:44:30 »
I think its that time of year when wemake a  list the good, bad and ugly companies, so none of the newbies get caught out, come to think of it any of us can get caught out, I feel new thread coming on, feel free if anyone wants to start one.    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 18:46:00 »
Actually seeds for the pound shop in Enfield aren't bad, but they are not a pound, 2 packets for a pound.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 18:53:21 »
One for me and one for you.    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

torquil

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 10:52:56 »
thanks for the information will not be buying from this site. will use normal seed merchants

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 14:50:43 »
I find Lidl & Aldi do a basic range of seeds at a good price, only problem is that they only stock seeds at certain times of year.

being nosy, where is the pound shop in Enfield, i cannot remember one and have only moved out 3 years ago???

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 15:50:55 »
The pound shop in Enfield is opposite Woolworth (which is no longer there), and think we also have a new 99p shop.  Enfield has changed a lot with all the new shops, I try not to go there apart from Barclays Bank, to get money for more seeds.

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 22:34:57 »
I have just got the Tuckers catalogue and that seems quite good and a good range of varieties. I use Moles seed and their germination is excellent. It has to be, most of their customers are trade and they wont stand duff seed. Some of their packets are expensive cause they have larger quantities for the commercial grower, like 250 F1 Brussel Sprout seeds for example.
Where they really come in is for things like peas, beans, radish, spring onions and especially green manures. Normal retail packs are too small on these items. This year I bought climbing French beans from a normal seed firm and only got a fraction of what I would have got years ago, I did not have enough for a proper row.
They also do a wide range of varieties, some of which amateurs don't see - the professionals wont touch some of our normal varieties cause new and better cropping varieties are available. What I have done is invest in some of Moles packets of onion, cabbage, radish and brussel sprouts seeds. These will last me several years and the price/seed is a lot less, but you have to pay a bit more at beginning, choose seed that will store and store the seed - I reseal and put in bag in fridge.

Levi

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 22:41:04 »
I use Tuckers and find them really helpful. I've had two problems and both times, they've quickly replaced the goods (shallots & garlic) in a refreshingly concerned manner. 
One Love

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal