Author Topic: wasp nest  (Read 1299 times)

slowfood

• Not So New ...
wasp nest
« on: November 18, 2009, 22:51:10 »
Hello all,

I need to clear some ground on the allotment for a peach tree and two cherry trees, but, apart from tree roots to clear I have a wasp nest that only seems to have appeared this year. As good pollinators, I,m not sure about sprays etc..

Any suggestions..?

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Re: wasp nest
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 22:53:11 »
It'll be dead or dying by now.  Just clear it.  Wasps are not an endangered species.

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 00:05:01 »
The wasps will have finished with the nest as the colony has broken down. However just be careful. There might be a few stragglers in there. I am not sure they are pollinaters. They are very useful insects in that they prey on caterpillars and the like to feed their grubs during the summer. It is a pity that they become a nuisance when the brood rearing stops in late summer and they then go searching for sweet stuff and try to raid bee hives. During the summer the adult wasps get a sweet substance off their grubs. They only become a nuisance when that source of food disappears at the end of summer.

slowfood

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 10:17:14 »
Thanks both. That makes the job a lot easier.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 10:25:58 »
After a good cold snap you can be sure the wasps will be gone.  :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 18:45:22 »
I had a massive nest under my lilac; they've all disappeared now. They'll soon be gone.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 18:09:30 »
I agree that cold weather kills off the wasps.  But make sure you clear the nest completely, and keep a close eye on the site in the spring: we have wasps returning year after year to build in a bathroom airbrick!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal