Author Topic: how big is your polytunnel?  (Read 2290 times)

TISH

• Quarter Acre
how big is your polytunnel?
« on: October 29, 2009, 09:10:57 »
Cant afford one just yet but as this is my first year on the plot I am mapping things out so sort of need to decide where my dream tunnel will go and how big it will be. Have a double plot so plenty of room, not sure if it makes any difference if you run it north south or east west but know its important that it gets the morning sun.

Once I decide on the size would also like to know how much room around it I will need to keep clear, and what grows best near it (given there will be a lot of water runoff), so I don't put the wrong things in now only to have to move them next year.

All advice greatly apreciated!

Thanks

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: how big is your polytunnel?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 09:17:30 »
Hiya, Tish, we had a 20x8, replaced by a 30x10 on our plot....on site, we also have a 42x14 communal one, be careful, some councils are now saying planning permission needed, we had to apply for pp for all the tunnels on our site and were only given 5 years temporary then we have to apply again  :-\
ours gets the morning sun one side then it goes overhead so gets some sun all day..we have paving flags over the trenches we dug to put the plastic in, I have pots and troughs on these so I don't lose any planting space  ;D

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 09:35:56 »
We have a 10x15 - there is a limit of 10x20 on the site.  Would have liked the extra 5 ft, but was over-budget as it was.
The Tuscan Beaneater

TISH

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 23:25:07 »
thanks for the tip about the the paving stones, will try that for sure. Also saw some sort of rain catcher thing on the northerntunnels website, that seems like a great idea if it works (although slight concern that it would damage the cover) so may need to do more research on that.

I'll have to ask about size restrictions - there wasnt anything written in the contract from the council and things seem fairly laidback on my site so hopefully it wont be an issue.
Thanks

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 00:09:46 »
I am on a private allotment - I am on my own! I have just put up a 20 foot by 12 foot and it is already too small - if I could have afforded it I would have it 50 foot by 14 feet. I have a table chairs, foot stool and gas cooker in there.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal