Author Topic: Polytunnel  (Read 2217 times)

colt

• Quarter Acre
Polytunnel
« on: October 28, 2009, 00:13:19 »
Hi all think I've made my mind up to have a tunnel but would like to know what you all think is best to attach the cover? Its between using the wooden base rail or the trench method so any help would be good.

Thanks

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
Re: Polytunnel
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 08:53:58 »
We bought ours from First Tunnels and went for the wooden rails rather than the trench method.  We also used the anchor plates, which we weighted down, and we have paving slabs all around the tunnel.  It seems very secure.  I think we didn't feel like all the digging for the trench  ;) ;) ;) ;)
The Tuscan Beaneater

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 09:07:35 »
I went for the trench method when I put mine up this August - its pretty straight forward and seems to be holding the cover tightly in place.

When I first did it, one of the ends looked a bit messy and it was a simple job to dig out the soil and reposition it - this might not be easy if the cover was pinned to a wooden base rail?

Its also free apart from a little spade work!
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 10:30:04 »
Colt is also depends on whether you are on a windy site or not.

If you dig a channel and bury the remainder I think it is meant to be better in an exposed site.

I dug the channel and it really was easy peasy and is quick to fill also!  My only slight niggle is that - as you have dug down approx 12" and have a channel then of about 1ft wide - the water from the polytunnel naturally falls down into the channel - but - unless you poke many holes into the plastic - it doesn't water from the outside - which I was rather hoping it would!

Good luck with yours whichever you choose!

Old Bird

;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 20:25:59 »
we used the trench method, we've put up 2 and prefer that method, ours is a very windy site  ;D

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 12:53:00 »
How high are these? Tall enough to walk in or do you crawl?
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 12:54:02 »
ours is 8' in the centre with 4' wall before it curves  :)

Macy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 15:27:06 »
First Tunnels recommend a base rail for exposed sites (amongst other additions) as they say it makes for a tighter cover, so that's what I went for (as we're very exposed). I went for the aluminum option rather than timber base rail.

I'd say it's swings and roundabouts the first time in terms of time, but the base rail would probably make replacement of the cover easier down the line.

colt

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 17:32:06 »
Well after a lot of thinking (yes that would be the smell of wood burning lol) I have place my order for a 12ft x 30ft tunnel with the wooden base rail. I should have it here by next Wednesday so got some work to look forward to. Can I just thank you all for the advice you have given me.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal