Author Topic: Tiger nuts again (but this time as a drink) - how do you get them going?  (Read 1268 times)

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
I'm restarting this thread because I want to grow tigernuts - here's why.

I used to love tiger nuts as a kid but now I find that chewing them (even rehydrated) soon leaves you with a mouthful of dry powder - I think this is the reason they are so hard to find even in 'health' shops (you can choke really badly if you breathe the dust - don't try eating them if you have a blocked nose!).

This is a pity since you can sidestep the problem by making a wonderful drink - called 'horchata de chufas' in Valencia. The locals there are mad for it and it is delicious and refreshing. Quite  like coconut but better somehow.

Do try this at home.

It does need a bit of sugar but they tend to put too much in the commercial product - making it into a kids' drink. If you want to buy it try and get the type labelled 'extra chufas'.

It's easier to make your own from soaked 'nuts' in an ordinary blender, but here's the twist - the flavour is great but there's a lot still left in the nuts -  so after your lovely drink you are left with a fairly tasty nutty powder.

I think it is a waste to throw it away, but it is too powdery to eat raw. I've found it works really well in bread (or cakes). The powdery nature is completely hidden. It makes a bread that is indefinably nutty in a really 'moreish' way. It would probably make a terrific seed cake.

So - this is why I want to grow them, but as quoted in the previous thread they are very difficult to get going in the spring - does anyone know how to get around this??

Also, I found I lost a lot of my meagre crop while overwintering them - how do you get the right moisture levels? Is it easier to dry them like you buy them?

Ta.

With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
I'm not sure which previous thread you are refering to, I tried a search but don't think I found the right one, any chance of a link?

I used to love tiger nuts as a kid

Me too ;D I've grown them for the first time this year. I've no idea on harvest as yet but hope there will be some! Making them in to a drink, although it sounds lovely, may have to wait until next year. I'd thought to try out a couple of ways to get them going next year, both fairly basic methods; Dry and save some tubers/nuts and replant them in the spring and, keep a couple in slightly moist compost.
I thought they could be stored dry and still remain viable for growing next year.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Vinlander

• Hectare
Thanks Jayb - I've tried overwintering them in a propagator but they didn't seem to start any sooner than the first ones I grew from a packet of dried ones the previous year, (and during that winter I lost quite a few to rot).

Two tries is hardly a reliable sample, but it would certainly be a mystery how they know it's too early - how could they judge day length before they sprout??

I suppose I'll get another packet somehow and try them at different temperatures (the last place I found them was in Ladbroke grove and they seem to be getting rarer).

What time of year do yours sprout? and what temp did you use? any other tricks like soaking etc?

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
I can't quite remember when I started them off in the propagator, probably mid March, individually in pots about 1/2 inch deep in gp compost. I don't think I soaked them first but perhaps you could try both ways.

As far as I know, which is not much, the tubers store well and should remain viable for at least a year. I'm not going to harvest mine for a few weeks, so don't know if there is a harvest, but you are welcome to a couple of fresh tubers to try (harvest permitting!)

Vinlander

• Hectare
Thanks Jayb but when did they emerge? - was it the usual couple of weeks you expect from a big seed?

I know it isn't but I waited so long I was about to chuck the pot out - it must have been June at the earliest.

If your experiences were better maybe we're looking at extreme variability - I could sow a whole packet next time...

Cheers.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
They didn't take long, within the fortnight.

Vinlander

• Hectare
Thanks Jayb - looks like I need to go to The Spice Shop again (Blenheim Crescent). There's also a good spanish deli nearby in Ladbroke grove so it probably won't be a wasted journey.

Can you remember where you got yours from?

Cheers

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal