Author Topic: Anybody making cider ?  (Read 3641 times)

Dadnlad

• Acre
  • Site Foreman ?
Anybody making cider ?
« on: October 22, 2009, 23:54:30 »
Pigeons are starting on some of our apples, and we're getting quite a few windfalls now, so thought we might have a go at making cider this weekend

Anyone else got a foolproof recipe ?

SteveJ

• Half Acre
  • Perth, Scotland
Re: Anybody making cider ?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 16:45:15 »
Hi Dadnlad

I used the following website last year for my first attempt - it was a bit tart (great for cooking with though), but that was my fault for only including one variety of apple.  This year I'll mix a few varieties together and hopefully it will be a bit more palateable.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~gunning/scrumpy/makingit.html

Happy Brewing
Steve

Dadnlad

• Acre
  • Site Foreman ?
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 23:07:52 »
Cheers Steve

We've got bags of Kidds Orange, Red Falstaff, Bramleys, a few Golden Delicious and some crabs from the hedgrow

Hope that makes enough of a mixture ::)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 20:45:13 »
I too would be interested in a recipe. I have 10 kilos of apple seconds bought from a farm shop for £2!!
I thought of making some apple wine from some of them and have a recipe for that.
By the way what is the difference between apple wine and apple cider anyway. The recipes on the web look very similar??

lyonm2704

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 16:05:35 »
I started making cider a little while ago. Its turned out pretty good so far! Its good to use a variaty of apples and just play around with your own recipe. I think the difference between apple cider and apple wine is the strength (ABV) Apple wine is stronger than apple cider. The cider im making at the moment is about 8% ABV. There are lots of interesting videos on youtube about making your own cider. Check them out!

lyonm2704
lyonm2704

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal