Author Topic: Svarus  (Read 3541 times)

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
Svarus
« on: January 03, 2010, 12:55:45 »
Saw this in Aldi this morning -  a clear spirit 22% alcohol, described as a premium blend of alcohol and spirit! Has anyone tried it and could it be used as a base for liquers etc?
I am planning to make some limoncello so bought vodka, but could you use Svarus?

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Re: Svarus
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 13:27:28 »
Švarus is a Lithuanian neutral spirit it should be tasteless but as it has come from aldi they have probably added a load of sugar syrup to it so taste it before using.
Yes you could use it as a base for liqueurs but it won't extract flavours as efficiently as a neutral spirit with a higher alcohol content would.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 09:57:58 »
Thanks, Baccy Man - it only cost £4 so I thought that there must be some catch , which is why I got the vodka in the end.
Now off to peel the lemons ;D

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 10:01:17 »
I am planning to make some limoncello

Oooooooooh yum! My favourite! Lovely Sicillian restaurant near my mum keeps the most fab limoncello and got me hooked. Didn't know you could make your own-let me know how you get on.  ;D If you are sober enough!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

3sheds

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 10:58:41 »
What I did was buy a few bottles and put it my still (bought for making distilled water of course).
I only paid £3.49 a bottle which seemed a good price. At 22% it has no "kick" if you like alcohol straight but distilling to about 50% makes all the difference.

3sheds

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal