Author Topic: Considering an allotment - how much time / effort  (Read 15937 times)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: Considering an allotment - how much time / effort
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2009, 10:28:43 »
Tony and I go to the allotment 5 days and we stay for approx 5hours.   We dont go on a sunday or wednesday cos we visit me Mom. Our daughter has the next plot to ours and she spends approx 4 hours a day for 4 days. now all of her kids are at school.We have lunch together on the days we are there and its great. The things is we are both well retired so we do have the time. Between the 2 of us we just manage to keep 2 plots going, We would rather be there than anywhere else so its not achore having to go there. We get fresh air and loads of excercise and we eat well.Its our main interest.
I think you have to look at an allotment as an interest or pastime and decide just how much time you would like to give to it.
I really do agree with a few folks on here that small trial plots should be available to people just starting out to see if they really do like alltment gardening
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

non-stick

• Half Acre
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2009, 12:58:27 »
With us it depends on the time of year. We reckon on a minimum halfday each per week to keep it ticking over and planting out and weeding. At certain times we have to go more frequently to water. We could spend more but it's balancing the needs of the allotment with the rest of life's demands

We work on the premise that it's a productive not a show plot so aren't too fussy about keeping it pristine.
We spent more time at the outset becuase it was very overgrown when we got it. We still haven't sorted the entire plot out but are nearly there

I also agree with others about gving people trial plots. We have some "dibblers" who faff about but 90% of the plot is a mess because they spend barely any time on it (and there's two couples "working" it).

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2009, 19:01:56 »
Mine's eight and a half times that, plus hedges. You can see the variation!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2009, 19:30:51 »
We have 40 new allotment holders and only 4 have been less than successful, and two of these are now getting it together.  The other two appear to have given up. 

I do not understand why people need to be offered trial plots.  The failure rate here is amazingly low. 

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2009, 19:44:59 »
We have 40 new allotment holders and only 4 have been less than successful, and two of these are now getting it together.  The other two appear to have given up. 

I do not understand why people need to be offered trial plots.  The failure rate here is amazingly low. 
I think it can vary alot, out of 4 new people near my plot, 2 seem to have gone, and another I have not seen for ages, although their plot seems to have a little work done.

On other parts of the site, there are other new people, but they had mentors to help them get started and they have a much better success rate.

It's great that your site has a low failure rate, any idea why? I am sure everybody would like to know.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2009, 20:16:46 »
I have no idea, the land had only had sheep and pigs on it for more than a decade.   Perhaps we were just lucky that it was a case of light the blue touch paper and stand well clear.  Though the soil was very hard going to start with.  There is plenty of free manure (with some pockets of contamination)

I think that perhaps the successful growing has bred enthusiasm.  It is also a very lovely scenic spot, perhaps it's the feel good factor.

kaparobi

• Not So New ...
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2009, 15:18:12 »
Hi

We took on our plot at the beginning of AUgust and due to the condition it was in it has taken us to now to feel that we are ready to start planting a couple of beds with wintering vegetables on it whilst we spend time sorting the rest of it out properly.

I am lucky to be married to a shift worker who could give more time than most perhaps but we have probably done about 8 hours a week on average to get to this point. Once up and running we are aiming for 4 hours a week on average but on some weeks it could be more depending on the time of year.

We have an almost 3 year old and a just over 1 year old who both love it. We have factored in a little corner especially for them to play in so they will hopefully keep out of the veggie beds!!!

Hope you get one soon, apparently the 11 months it took us was quite a quick turnaround. Enjoy it.

Kate

Jokerman

• Half Acre
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2009, 17:13:05 »
I probably put in about 10 hours a week, but mine is totally under control regarding weeds etc.

“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” ~ Tolkien

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2009, 17:26:47 »
Welcome to A4A Kate...  :)

Le-y

• Acre
  • Growing children and food in Norfolk
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2009, 07:55:40 »
we've almost finished clearing the weeds from ours now its taken 6 of us about 11 hours so far we've got about another 6 hours left to do.

First time allotment holder, second time mum.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2009, 08:16:43 »
welcome to A4A hideaway and detailista :)

I hummed and arred (sp!) for ages before I got mine. I used to work away from home a lot so couldn't commit the time, but now I'm either working from home, doing smaller commutes or not working  ::) I can fit the allotment in nicely with the rest of my life  ;D

Great advice from everyone, so not much more to add! Other than that have a think about what you would like to grow - some crops are higher maintenance than others. To reduce time, and if you like them, fruit bushes are great - not as much regular tlc needed.

And yes it's addictive  ;D

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2009, 11:01:19 »

The key thing is to keep going regularly at least once per week, even if it only for a couple of hours.

plainleaf2

• Half Acre
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2009, 23:07:03 »
the secrets to weeds is simple:
1 get them while they are small.
2. any area not under cultivation such as bed for later crops or pathways
is cover by perforated weed cloth that lets water through but not weed seedling.
3. have weeding schedule and keep to it. do not pick ripe crops till weeding is done.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2009, 23:13:02 »
If you are vigilant about weeding it becomes less and less as the years go by.  :) :) :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal