Author Topic: Dilemma  (Read 2474 times)

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
Dilemma
« on: October 08, 2009, 22:30:44 »
I'm sure this came up just a few months back but I don't recall the replies...

When we moved last year I got myself put on the waiting list for the local allotments not thinking I'd hear anything for years but tonight I've had a call to say there is a plot available if I want it.

The thing is --- I've had my allotment six years and wouldn't dream of giving it up for another but I could cycle to the new plot in 5 minutes meaning I could spend lots of time on it, On the site I'm on now you'd wait years to get a plot and I'd never dream of having a second allotment on there with so many people on the list but can there be that many on the new sites list if I'm at the top in a few months?

What should I do?

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
Re: Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 22:36:27 »
Why can't you have two ? You could grow different stuff on each .
sanity is overated

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 23:01:35 »
Take it...  :)

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 23:14:01 »
I would take both, if you can manage both.
You may like to have 2 plots on 2 sites, or after a year you may find preferring one site over the other and would not mind so much giving up the old site.

Different sites can have very different waiting lists. When I first applied I put my name down for 2 sites, one a couple of minutes walk down the road, and the other I can see out of my window.

I was told that the closest site I will never get on, and the other would be a few years wait, however there was a site a couple of miles away that had spare plots.

I turned down the plot a couple of miles away, as my OH used our car each day, so would not be practicable, but glad I did it as I only had to wait just over 1 year, and now only have a 2 minute walk to the site and I go almost every day.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 07:41:46 »
I'd take it and see how it goes, I'd also be tempted to, for example, just grow fruit or and herbs, or permanent planting like asparagus and artichokes on the 2nd plot. That way I could manage things more easily in terms of watering, maintaining etc.

Good luck whatever you decide

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 08:40:24 »
Have a good look at the plots and see what is growing on there.Should give you some idea of how the ground is. We had a plot within walking distance from the house but the soil was heavy clay and very hard to dig. It got even worse when it rained. We persevered for 2 years with it.In the meantime our daughter got plot 5 miles away from us and we went to help her with it. The difference was amazing. Much better ground. We now have 2 plots there and definitely wouldn't want to go back to the other plot.
You could just take it on for a year and see what you can do with it. It might well turn out to be ok. Keep us posted Mick
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 09:50:33 »
Take it.  See where you are happiest working.  Different sites have different problems and I don't just mean the soil.    On here you will read about arguments on some sites and friendly goings on on others.  I moved sites some years ago, and although the last site was O.K. the plot holders did not mix.  On my present site its a bit like Last of the Summer Wine.   We also give each other produce.  Something which never on the previous site.   Carpe Diem.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 10:46:16 »
mick,how can you be allowed two,if there is a waiting list at both sites,despite the fact that you have come to the top of the second list? we wouldnt be allowed here
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 11:02:39 »
Some people on our site have two allotments and put one in their partners name, but this was before there was a big demand for allotments (which is only in the last few years).  Six years ago (when I retired) I had a choice of allotments and the Council rotavated them, don't do that now, and a lot of the plots are being split to deal with the demand.  Think it is fashionable to have an allotment and we will see how long it lasts.  Used to like the site when it was neglected and overgrown, my private paradise and good for wild life and blackberries, but have to go with the times and not be selfish.  The plot next to me is going to be split into four small starter plots, so it will be more busy, but hopefully less weeds.  I suppose take the other one for a year and then decide which one to keep, not really fair to keep two if there is a waiting list, if not keep two.

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 11:20:20 »
If I was you, I would find it hard to turn it down. I know it is a bit greedy but like the others say, you can see how you go on with it. so long as either one of the sites does not suffer i.e. getting overgrown and unkempt, I can't see a problem. In the future, you may want to downsize again, then you would have the choice of which one to keep. :)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 19:37:42 »
are the council (or allotment management sketch) aware that you already have a plot on another site? ( not allowed plots on different sites here)
You couldn't make it up!

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 08:23:11 »
Used to like the site when it was neglected and overgrown, my private paradise and good for wild life and blackberries, but have to go with the times and not be selfish(Quote by Borlotti) I know just what you mean.  ;)
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal