Allotment Stuff > The Basics

Hoping for lottie soon

<< < (4/4)

cdchater:
My muscles are certainly aching this morning after spending the weekend down the lottie! Must buy something nice for a bath soak this evening...could even grow some nice herbs to make my own bath soak!

Managed to put together my wooden tool shed (£10 bargain from Wickes) but it did take me ages to hammer in the nails...think I'll leave that job to the hubby in future. After sheer determination (and a lot of cursing at the wind) I managed to fix it together and think I might use it as a cold frame...just need to get hold of some glass or clear plastic!

Claire

Hot_Potato:
Hi CD.....was really intrigued by sound of your tool shed....at £10. it certainly sounds like a bargain.....roughly how big is it then.....presume it's not big enough to stand up in....can't be for that money surely......does it have a base to it?....I've not got shed but will definitely need somewhere to store things (once I get some tools ???)...sounds as if you had a banging time ;)......hope you found something nice to have a good soak in.....love the idea of growing your own herbs for that purpose.....I'm real sore tonight after another clearing session today.....couldn't dig very well....borrowed fork from communal shed but it was only a tiny border fork and it just wasn't really big enough.....however....planted a dozen bulbs- dafs & narcissus in a bit of worked ground....my neighbouring plotholder had some wallflower plants he'd grown from seed in there and today he'd dug them up to transplant in his garden at home so I decided to use the patch.....be very welcoming when I go up there in the Spring....& I can cut one or two to bring home.....HP.

Hot_Potato:
Clare.....just popped back to say sorry....have just noticed your name at bottom......so I've probably used the wrong one.....didn't mean not to use your proper name....H.P.

cdchater:
Hello HP

No probs about the name...my friends call me cd anyway (although I've got married since I joined this forum, so I'm now cb - sorry, very confusing! Just Claire is fine!)

Anyway, the tool shed is more of a chest really, so you can't stand up in it. It's probably the size of a large chest freezer but quite a bit deeper and it does have a base (hope that makes sense). The lid is angled so I thought it would be ideal as a cold frame. It was originally £55 from Wickes but because the lid is slightly broken they were selling it for a tenner. Bargain for me - as I will replace the lid with glass!

I found Wickes have the cheapest sheds but keep your eye out in the local paper. People sometimes sell sheds for free, if you're willing to collect it.

Sounds like you're getting on with clearing your new lottie - and the plot should look lovely next spring when all those daffs show their heads!

Happy digging!
Claire

Hot_Potato:
Hi Clare - thanks for info on your shed/store....sounds good....when I meant a base...I was wondering if you had to dig one out & lay concrete to put the shed on...I can visualise it now though...another question, I'm only 5' tall...dont laugh....good things come in little packages you know!... ;)so I'm told anyway!...I can remember having a big chest freezer years ago now....and I couldn't reach the bottom!....by the sound of it though because it slopes....you can get to things at the  bottom fairly easily?....however I will keep my eyes open....I'm no longer in the first flush of youth......not long had my bus pass to be honest!....so not as physically strong as I used to be.....(I have Fibromyalgia)....also there's only me so trying to put up a shed from scratch is......daunting ??? but who knows....where there's a will....want to make one thing clear....the ground where I put my bulbs yesterday is on my lottie....just re-reading message & it looks as if I've used my beighbours.....he's using some of mine at the moment.....which is just fine....hope he goes on doing so.....less for me to worry about for time being....giving things a rest today as rather sore....also hoping for rain soon....bye for now....H.P.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version