Author Topic: When best harvested for halloween  (Read 2660 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
When best harvested for halloween
« on: October 10, 2009, 12:59:04 »
This is my first years success with pumpkins.  I have 3, one on each plant that are for the kids at haloween.  Am I best to leave them on the plant till the day or do they need to be harvested now to harden off?
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: When best harvested for halloween
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 21:02:10 »
I had mine out a couple of weeks ago, they've finished off ripening up in the conservatory nicely.... Inot risk the frost getting to them and if they're on an allotment, the closer we get tot he time the more likely some little git is to make off with them...... local Coop wnats 2.50 each for not particularly big pumpkins..... so that means my one off saved seed on a pile of manure I had anyway that had little or no care through the summer produced 17.50 worth of pumpkins......

chrisc

Growing4twins

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 00:51:05 »
Ahh, Chris u have just ansered my question for me.  I wasn't sure when to pick my pumpkins.  All the foliage has died off on my plants but the fruit isnt quite ripe yet.  I didnt know if they would ripen once they were picked.  Thanks for that, now all i have to do is figure out wot to do with the actual flesh, seems a waste just to throw it away & im not really a lover of pumpkin pie.  Maybe soup is on the menu this year, do u have a ny good recipies??
Is loving how the twins are really getting into planting seeds this year!  two for the price of one!! :D http://i46.tinypic.com/zy7ww8.jpg[/img]

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 18:46:41 »
My 3 pumpkins are now harvested and sitting in the greenhouse until next week.  Hope this is right and that they will not rot.....
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 19:17:42 »
Just cut up one pumpkin, roasted some of it and made soup with the rest.  Easy recipe with onion, milk, veg stock and then add grated cheese and cream.  Tasted OK so if you want the recipe will post it, only 3 more pumpkins to go.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 14:13:38 »
Yes please.... although most of the pumpkins got used for Halloween (brother, his neighbour, mum, mate at work) I've still got one left, it's the smallest of them.... I've got 3 varieties for next year, Baby Bear, Becky and Atlantic Giant.... having tried it before I won't be eating the AG but the otehr two are supposed to be good eating...

chrisc

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal