Author Topic: greenhouse bases  (Read 2056 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
greenhouse bases
« on: October 23, 2009, 00:51:32 »
Hi Guys,

What the best base for a greenhouse?

I was planning on having a brick course of about 6 brick high to raise the height of the greenhouse and have essentially raised beds in a U shape with paving down the middle.

What advantages/disadvantages does this give me?

Is there a better way?

thanks

Cam

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: greenhouse bases
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 11:12:33 »
that sounds like  a superb plan, Cam, but, will you be lifting anything heavy over the 6" wall which will be across the entrance, or will you install a ramp?
growingin the soil is the best method for non-commercial operations, because of the better water/nutrient retention capabilities of soil.
the low wall will raise the height of the eaves, which will be useful for tall growing plants (toms/cuc's), and the increased height will also increase the volume of air, so it should be a little more stable as regards temp swings/fluctuations.
keep us posted, and include some photo's?
rgds, Tony
You couldn't make it up!

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 12:15:34 »
Sounds good, its a lot better growing in the border if you get loads of manure in you won't need to water as often. I generally take about half of the previous years soil out and renew with horse poo every year, it stops soil born nastys. You get much better Toms in the border then growbags or containers. Is it on an allotment? Gravel boards make cheap and easy paving for down the middle.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 13:26:48 »
thanks guys not sure what i am going to do with the door - good question :)

Its for my own garden.

Yes i am going to get some manure in there I also though that it might help warm the soil to help kill germs. I was going to have the landscapers hammer in some posts midway into each ends of the beds to allow me to rig supports and its something easier to do when the greenhouse is not fitted yet :)

Also going to have 4 wooden supports (3x3) secured outside so that each corner of the greenhouse can be braced in high winds.

The back of the greenhouse is going to be against an east facing wall which gets sun in the afternoon and evenings. Was going to leave this away from the fence enough to allow me to get around the back and replace any glass but though this might also be a good place to put the water buts (tall thin ones) and access the glass from inside?

Will defiantly be taking lots of photos :)

small

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 18:53:28 »
Be very careful in the doorway if you do raise it. I fell over my six-inch barrier and sprained my ankle very badly, but was lucky not to smash any glass as I fell. My floor, btw, is concrete and I do all my growing in pots. It works for me.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 20:55:42 »
yes and with a little one i dont want to create problems....

I wonder if i can fit a vent and drop the door? i suppose it depends on the greenhouse i pick....

I have a vauge recolection of seeing a greenhouse door with a bit added to the bottom of the door to make the height right so maybe that might be the way to go????
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 21:00:16 by cambourne7 »

TonyD

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 22:26:24 »
father christmas came early this year. my 3 kids clubbed together an bought me a greenhouse for christmas. it is a Eden greenhouse. it is a Regent. 8x6. the door is a sliding door and needs a bottom guide for it to slide easy. the guide is on the main base frame which is 4 in high all around the greenhouse. so if you add this to a 6in brick wall your step will be 10 inches. if you can site the greenhouse north to south, so it gets full use of the sun. i also stole tonyblokes idea of having an inner house. i cut down the plastic pop-up greenhouse i had been using so that it fits inside. i will use this for germinating the seeds in. i will be able to maintain the heat better

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal