Author Topic: single burner or twin burner parrafin heater?  (Read 1799 times)

marc555

• Quarter Acre
single burner or twin burner parrafin heater?
« on: October 26, 2009, 18:25:38 »
Can't decide which parrafin heater to get - the single burner or the twin burner from B&Q. My greenhhouse is roughly 3m x 2.5m
If i get the single will i need to turn it up more or will it be best to get the twin and keep it low?
Any advice appreciated

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
Re: single burner or twin burner parrafin heater?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 21:17:33 »
If it is possible to get power to your greenhouse I would go for electric rather than parafin. You will need to light your parafin incase it is a cold night but with a good heater it will only work when needed. Parafin heaters often smoke and ruin the plants but not electric. I have a parwin heater over 30 years old and would not be without it. There is no waste with electric but a lot of waste with parafin and that is getting dearer all the time.

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 17:10:29 »
Cant comment on which one, but you can always only light one burner and have the other in reserve. Its a blue flame one nowadays I presume, a yellow flame is out.

I used to get fed up with trimming the wicks and buying new wicks.

Its electric every time for me now, with a froststat setting so it comes on if its frosty, you can also set it higher  as the switch is a thermostat which I guess you know.

You often see fan heaters being given away on Freecycle and most have a thermostat control nowadays.

Hope that helps :)

marc555

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 18:00:52 »
we dont have access to electric on our allotments so i'm going to have to get a parrafin heater, think i will get the twin burner, i can run it on 1 until it gets really cold in the winter.

Thanks

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 07:48:11 »
Where abouts are you Mark i've one you can have for a Tenner.

marc555

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 18:04:41 »
ah too late i bought the twin burner from B&Q last night and set it away before i got your message

Thanks anyway

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal