Author Topic: Allotment Liaison Officers  (Read 3706 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Allotment Liaison Officers
« on: September 13, 2009, 08:39:27 »
Birmingham City Council has two Allotment Liaison Officers who deal with 115 sites in the city. Last week the one who deals with our side of the city resigned and we have heard that there will be no immediate replacement.

I just wondered if all city councils have ALOs and if so, how many sites were they responsible for.  There are over 7,000 plots and 80 associations in Birmingham which will now be the sole responsibility of the one remaining ALO.

The ALO who has just resigned was a great help to our site.  I could phone or email him about any problems we might have been having and he dealt with them patiently and with good humour.  I will miss him.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
Re: Allotment Liaison Officers
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 17:29:00 »
Replying to my own question because it looked so sad without any replies at all.   :'(
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 17:33:56 »
I will reply quickly, before I check my soup.  Had the community police around to check my house as five burglaries in next road, and told them about the allotment and they said that they could not police it themselves but had many people in the adjoining roads that had joined Neighbourhood Watch and they were watching the allotments and passed information on to them.

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 18:24:49 »
We are very lucky that our local police station is only over the road from the allotments.  They have a key and pop in whenever they have time.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 19:22:46 »
In Edinburgh there are 21 sites with over 1000 plots and 1 Allotment officer who is very nice. There are  also "independent' sites like what mine is. :)

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 20:44:04 »
Hillingdon has 30-something sites, with about 1600 plots. (Can't remember the exact figures, but that's about right.) And one allotment officer, who's brilliant and works his socks off.

We're an independent site, but have affiliated and go along to the Hillingdon meetings. Anything we want to know is an e-mail away and he passes waiting list enquiries on to us in the same way he would to a Borough site.

One officer to 115 sites is a bit of a no-go; even two per 115 is pushing resources a bit.

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 15:53:41 »
Norwich has 18 sites with 1490 plots - so the website says. There are 4 allotment officers but they only do 1 day per week each on allotment work. Sounds like Birmingham is rather short staffed!

Growing4twins

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 21:07:32 »
Hi Squash64, just seen ur thread & im also im brum, which officer has resigned??
Is loving how the twins are really getting into planting seeds this year!  two for the price of one!! :D http://i46.tinypic.com/zy7ww8.jpg[/img]

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 21:14:10 »
Hi Squash64, just seen ur thread & im also im brum, which officer has resigned??

Eddie Campbell unfortunately.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 21:19:55 »
Sorry cos this is totally off topic and welcome to A4All Growing 4twins.

Now my question is : (what an amazing moniker... ;)) Does it mean that you are growing produce for 2 children (twins), that you are expecting 2 children and are growing, that you are expecting 4 children (maybe not that would be quads???)  or even that you are expecting 4 sets of twins ( bit of a challenge in the allotment)?  :o :o Or growing stuff for an indeterminate number of children in line with the above?

Or even that you are trying to produce identical veg for the annual show? No, now I'm being silly! ;D ;D ;D

Growing4twins

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 21:32:00 »
LMAO!!!  Im a proud mom of nearly 3 yr old twins.  ;D ;D We live on the 6th floor of a high rise block of flats, so we have no garden!!  :'( So its off down the allotment we go, if i have to pay for my children to have a back garden then i will!!!  They adore helping me dig & planting seeds. They even had thier own little patch this year where they  planted salad leaves & radish's, they thought it was gr8.  When we were harvesting some potatos my son thought it was brilliant, every time he spotted 1 he would shout "TATO!" any1 would have thought it was gold!  They are getting an education on the allotment, not just about where thier food cums from but about nature & wildlife!  Priceless in my eyes :)
Is loving how the twins are really getting into planting seeds this year!  two for the price of one!! :D http://i46.tinypic.com/zy7ww8.jpg[/img]

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 21:46:08 »
LMAO!!!  Im a proud mom of nearly 3 yr old twins.  ;D ;D

I'm a proud granny of 8 year old twins!!!

We live on the 6th floor of a high rise block of flats, so we have no garden!!

I really wish you well. You are doing the right thing but it's hard work... innit?!! :'( So its off down the allotment we go, if i have to pay for my children to have a back garden then i will!!!  They adore helping me dig & planting seeds. They even had thier own little patch this year where they  planted salad leaves & radish's, they thought it was gr8.  When we were harvesting some potatos my son thought it was brilliant, every time he spotted 1 he would shout "TATO!" any1 would have thought it was gold!

Me too! Still get that special moment when i dig up a tattie!

They are getting an education on the allotment, not just about where thier food cums from but about nature & wildlife!  Priceless in my eyes :)

You are so right!!

Still sorry for usurping Betty's thread but hey it's been worth it!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 17:16:13 »
Welcome G4Twins, I'm sure Betty wouldn't mind, she's  probably got a tear in her eye after reading this.    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 09:18:55 »
Welcome G4Twins, I'm sure Betty wouldn't mind, she's  probably got a tear in her eye after reading this.    ;D ;D ;D

LOL  :D
Actually, the new thread is much more interesting than the one I started!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal