Author Topic: Children and ponds.  (Read 2537 times)

littleredhen

• Not So New ...
Children and ponds.
« on: October 02, 2009, 10:50:24 »
I really want to put a wildlife pond in our garden but youngest daughter is only 3.  She doesn't go in the garden on her own as we have really steep steps down to it.  Do you think it would be okay to go ahead with a pond or should I be waiting a few years?  The kind of pond we are planning has a shallow beach on one side and deeper on the other.  Does anyone else have young children and ponds? 

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
Re: Children and ponds.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 11:30:15 »
Hi, We had a pond in our garden when we moved into our new house. Just got the keys and the first thing my 2 yr old did was jump in the pond  ::) luckly was only a small pond and nanny was in the garden with him. We decided to fill it in but I'm sure there are plently of people on here that have ponds and children  ;D

Could you look at fencing the area off so your child couldnt get at it or possibly covering the pond so they cant fall in? I have seen some ponds that have a metal grid thing on top thats safe to walk on and the pond still looks attractive

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 11:31:49 »
We have kept fish in a pond outside since our children were small and they were ok. They were all taught to swim at an early age. Our son did go in the once when he was riding his bike in the garden, Both him and the bike went in and he came out with  Elodea hanging from his head. When our children were small they were never allowed anywhere in or out of the house without an adult anyway so we didn't have a problem. Every case will be different. These days children are allowed much more freedom to do their own thing. I suppose you have to think about other kiddies visiting your garden as well.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 11:41:05 »
we agonised over having a pond at the lottie,in the end,we made one from a massive belfast sink,and filled it with plenty of rocks and stuff,so no one could possibly drown in it,but plenty of wildlife could find a home still,and children could still find it entertaining,hope this helps
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 01:50:27 »
yep i have kids one is nine and the other is four the ponds two recycled plastic sand pits about a foot in depth went in two years ago.

the only thing i do is teach them to respect the pond area, not to clown around near the pond. and for goodness sake don't fall in you might damage MY PLANTS!!!

seriously though you alone know your kid, so do what feels right to you.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 08:14:48 »
Our garden was lumpy, soggy cow pasture before we bought this house so I always knew there would have to be a large unlined pond for drainage and took my daughter for swimming lessons from the age of 4 months so she wouldn't panic if she fell in.

When she was 18 months old the pond was dug out and soon filled up.  It's about 8m x 5m x 90cms at its deepest point.  We explained it was for wildlife and plants and not for children and she has never shown the slightest interest in swimming in it because it isn't blue.   She's 14 now so no more worries of that sort.   Small visiting children - and their parents - are also given the same information and I only ever had one 4yr old boy slide in up to his ankles when he couldn't brake and before the screening plants had grown.

The pond is now surrounded by tall miscanthus zebrinus, irises and rodgersias which screen it from the garden so no-one can fall in by accident or gain easy access for adventures.  It's a haven for wildlife.
Obxx - Vendée France

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 08:22:08 »
your pond sounds lovely Obbelix!

Having fallen - well walked into a pond when I was about 3 (and never allowed to forget it by my mum and her friends - they belly laughing!) The pond I walked into was at a friends house and they hadn't thought to tell me - I got more of a shock than anything

I'd say go for it but as others have said you will need to teach your kids and others about it.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 12:58:07 »
Unfortunately apart from yesterday we have had no real rain since early July so my pond is completely dry but we still have loads of frogs and toads and insects though no ducks since late July when it first drained empty.

Forrtunately we can only see the muddy bottom if we peer round the tall plants so it's not too unsightly.
Obxx - Vendée France

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal