Author Topic: Plot holders paying gardeners or builders to work on their plot  (Read 4339 times)

motherhen

• Not So New ...
Hi
I'd appreciate some info from other sites about whether it is generally allowed for plotholders to pay professional gardeners to do work for them, or whether they can arrange for builders to come and build them a patio or whatever.  I seem to remember a thread about this issue years ago, and think that a number of sites didn't allow it, but I can't find it now.  It would be really helpful to hear the thoughts from a number of people about this, and find out whether other sites allow it
(ps personally I think it goes against allotmenteering ethos, but I want to find out if I'm alone in this)

Many thanks to anyone who takes the time to share their thoughts/site rules on this matter - it will be most useful to me and our site.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Plot holders paying gardeners or builders to work on their plot
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 21:09:35 »
Our founding document prohibits employing labour to work your plot.  As far as 'structures' are concerned, we do allow people to pay to have sheds put up for them.  Not everyone has the skills to do it themselves.  Usually the company they buy the shed from puts it up.  We don't allow permanent structures (i.e. concreted in or down) so patios, greenhouse bases etc. aren't allowed so no need for builders.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 21:31:16 »
If OH doesn't get his finger out soon, seriously thinking of paying someone to do a bit of heavy work for me, cutting down a couple of trees and digging out some ornamental grass that has got too big and cuts my hands, and a bit of heavy digging.  Don't see any problem with it, and if I need some help, only once a year, and pay, what is the problem. Would do it myself, but a strong man could do it so much quicker and better.  Do know a Polish labourer who is very strong, and would probably be grateful for a bit of cash, but perhaps I am not allowed to say that.  ;D ;D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 22:12:19 »
I do not know how you prove whether someone has been paid or is just a friend helping out.

I am just jealous:  I would like a bit of muscle to help out. 

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 22:31:34 »
I wouldn't pay someone to do work on our plot, but then again I am relatively young and also have my OH who works the plot with me so heavy work isn't a major issue. Not sure whether is it against our rules, will have to take a look. I would agree with Digeroo though. It would be difficult to prove whether someone was actually being paid or not.

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 22:42:30 »
The basic premise of allotmenteering is that the plotholder does the majority of the work on the plot. a one-off dig over, structure build or whatever is perfectly allowable within that premise. If sites can threaten to cut peoples hedges then they can't complain of the plotholder organises someone else to do it for pay.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 00:45:43 »
I've a friend with a plot in one of the posh bits of Oxford and one his more scurrilous rumours is that several people on his site are paying professional gardeners....

chrisc

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 08:21:34 »
I've not done it myself but I don;t see a problem with paying for help. I certainly would if I knew someone!!

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 08:33:02 »
I've looked through the rules issued by Birmingham City Council and can't find anything forbidding this.

I quite like the idea of having extra help and it's something I might look into.  My husband works long hours and really doesn't have the time to come and do the things I can't manage.

I suppose the thing people would object to would be if a professional gardener did ALL of the work for the plotholder. Not really in the spirit of allotmenteering is it?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 08:36:23 »
I'm not sure what the tenancy states, I'd have to check that. But a few people on my site have had help with putting up sheds, greenhouses and paving, which makes a lot of sense to me.
I know a few people have also had help with putting in raised beds, and I think some clearing of plots )brambles etc), and rotavating.
Other than that it's down to the tenant (and their friends & family) to get on with it.

As for actually getting help in with growing things (paying for it) - is it an urban myth or do I need to be totally  :o  :o  :o that some people are doing this!

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 11:12:02 »
A friend of ours is a professional landscape gardener, perfection, attention to detail and visual beauty are of the upmost importance to him.  He recently acquired a plot on our site and the reaction from other plot holders is - well - interesting.  He is building a shed and beautiful raised beds, all out of salvaged materials, but the whole thing looks like - well - a professional job!  Even the compost container looks as if it came out of one of those expensive catalogues - but he paid nothing for the materials.  That's the way he does it because that's the way he knows, he doesn't know any different.  It makes the nearby leaning home-made sheds and beds that are crooked look really shabby and ramshackle.  For him it's a challenge to do something for himself, in his own time, and why shouldn't a professional have a plot?  There is definitely an undercurrent of "unwelcomeness", which is not nice.  He found a large 1960's greenhouse on Ebay, but didn't dare put in on the plot - so it's gone into another friend's garden.
The Tuscan Beaneater

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 11:20:40 »
It hadn't occurred to me to employ someone to look after my plot since, although it is often hard work, I took it on because I wanted to work it myself. Having said that, I have collected old windows and bought a bundle of wood so that another plotholder can build me a new greenhouse. Now he'll get payment in kind, so is that really any different?

So I don't really have a problem with folk paying someone to help them set things up. If, however, they pay someone to run and manage their plot, it does beg the question of why they have an allotment in the first place!

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 12:01:59 »
As for actually getting help in with growing things (paying for it) - is it an urban myth or do I need to be totally       that some people are doing this!

I think it is an urban myth, but there are some people who have a veg plot, pay somebody else to look after it and then call it an allotment because it is the in thing (or just the press calling it an allotment, sorry your highness).
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8098799.stm
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

Slug_killer

• Acre
  • I wanna be a slug.
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 12:22:51 »
Having an allotment and paying someone to look after it ? Isn't Sainsburys organic range cheaper ?

Now he'll get payment in kind ...

Hanky-panky is severly frowned upon down my lottie.  ;)
When Santa's about, just hoe-hoe-hoe

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 14:50:35 »
As for actually getting help in with growing things (paying for it) - is it an urban myth or do I need to be totally       that some people are doing this!

I think it is an urban myth, but there are some people who have a veg plot, pay somebody else to look after it and then call it an allotment because it is the in thing (or just the press calling it an allotment, sorry your highness).
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8098799.stm

;D   ::)  ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009, 17:05:50 »
As a one off to get you started, I can't see the problem but there's nothing I can remember in our rules that would stop you, as others have said how could you prove its not just a mate helping.
Borlotti if it's a strong, fit, local geezer your looking for, then you could be in luck, now where did I put his phone number.      ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Buster54

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009, 17:32:37 »
I think 30 years from now(when all the old timers have given up their plots) the allotmenteering ethos as we call it with old ramshackle sheds and Lean To’s that you just nailed another board onto are slowly being replaced with proper T&G sheds- raised beds-quality greenhouses and polytunnels, people are turning allotments into landscaping projects and why not, what does it matter if someone pays to have some work done I thought  part of the conditions of having an allotment was to keep it tidy and cultivated, I think we all have a bit of a jealous streak when we see someone doing something a little different .My wife whinges at me because I want all my raised beds in unison this and that in line-this and that level so I banned her from the allotment , we all have to move with the times and respect other peoples ways of doing things as long as they growing fruit and veg for the table and not just holding on to it as a keep sake
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 17:34:22 by Buster54 »
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2009, 17:57:08 »
I was expecting some reaction from Cornkev, but my Polish labourer is over 6 ft tall very strong and very pleasant.  He also has a lovely girl friend and I am much too old for him, but if he needs the work and I can afford to pay him, why not.  Did offer my son, grandson to do some work but they don't want to get their hands dirty, so I think if people want to work and need the money, good luck to them.  Probably won't do it, but when I get really old and frail may have to get some help.  OH did say if you take on an allotment I haven't got the time or inclination to do much, it will be your project, and I like it like that, he is still working.  He did make me bean supports, compost box and has got a rotavator and motor mower, but he does moan alot about me not planting in straight lines or labelling, so better without them sometimes.  I think just one day with the Polish guy will get be sorted.  ;D ;D ;D

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2009, 09:30:26 »
It does go against the traditional ethos of allotment gardening, but this is the 21st century.

I paid £80 to have a double row, full width row of blackberries taken out.  This guy did it in a day - it would have taken me at least a week, so money well spent.

I am at the stage where, as long as the plots are being cultivated, I don't really mind who does it.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2009, 09:55:31 »
I was expecting some reaction from Cornkev, but my Polish labourer is over 6 ft tall very strong and very pleasant..... 

You might find squash64 wants to rent him off you (see pumpkin thread elsewhere)..... does he charge extra for working without his shirt on  ;D

chrisc

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal