Author Topic: Vacuum cleaner - what would you recommend  (Read 16005 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Vacuum cleaner - what would you recommend
« on: September 11, 2009, 09:11:53 »
Hi everyone

Our vacuum cleaner is on its last legs and we are wondering whether it's worth investing in a Dyson.  We have two cats so I'm considering the DC27 model.  Your thoughts and experiences would be most welcome.  :)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: Vacuum cleaner - what would you recommend
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 09:19:28 »
We had a vacuum cleaner discussion recently... Our Dyson upright is great for cat hair, but it's heavy.

I would say one thing, if you have stairs get yourself down to comet & check how heavy it is and whether you could lug it about okay... It breaks my heart to have to sit and watch the Mrs lugging ours about the place...  :P

Hmmm, I see they say "lightweight"... I'd still check though!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 09:20:54 »
3 words...not a Dyson!

We bought an 'Animal' one, which is supposed to pick up cat hair. Worked ok (but never brilliantly) for the first month, then gradually got more and more useless. We constantly changed and cleaned filters, it was never the same and has sat in a cupboard ever since whilst the cheap 'Trend' one OH picked up at Lidl to use at work is totally brilliant and is the only thing that will clean the cat hair off of our carpet well.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 09:23:35 »
Here's the thread from before, when Manics was contemplating a change of vacuum.... might help!

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,54568.0.html

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 09:24:03 »
A Miele for me every time!  Have one that is over 20 years old and it is still going! My friend who is a decorator and therefore has to vacuum up rubbish every day, swears by hers!
My Mum and my sister both had a dyson and were not impressed, (sister had a very hairy dog!) both have changed to lighter machines!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 09:37:53 »
Yes I would agree with Deb P and DorisP. Had a Dyson animal which has gradually deteriorated after a good start. I checked out the Which reports and replaced it with a Miele Cat and Dog which is the best vacuum cleaner I've ever had, albeit it has a bag.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 09:38:34 »
Heartily agree with Dyson remarks. So heavy and wont go under the beds because of the shape.
I have a Sebo, had it years and it's light and easy to manouver. The down side is the bother of changing (and having to purchase) bags, don't know whether this has changed to bagless in the newer models.
Smile, it confuses people.

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 10:10:11 »
Miele ,we thought our hoover was good until we got a Miele.Everyone I know who has a Dyson is looking to change it.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 10:43:32 »
http://www.johnlewis.com/Magazine/Feature.aspx?Id=25 john Lewis have this guide to vacuum cleaners that might help.

MIELE...............MIELE.................MIELE............MIELE............MIELE....... ;D ;D ;D

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 11:36:06 »
I used to assume that bagless ones would be better, until someone pointed out that when you empty them out you can get covered in dust and cr@p if you arent careful, or if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction! Particularly bad if you suffer from allergies.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 18:40:57 »
Georgie, will your maid have any say in the type of vacuum cleaner your choosing or will she just have to go along with the general consensus on this thread.       ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 19:04:59 »
Interesting everyone seems to like the Miele ones...hope they are better than their fridge freezers, we have just had a very bad and expensive experience with one of them, never again! ::)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 19:30:07 »
Interesting everyone seems to like the Miele ones...hope they are better than their fridge freezers, we have just had a very bad and expensive experience with one of them, never again! ::)

Their fridge freezers suck!  ::)

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 19:31:42 »
Their fridge freezers suck!
 :o ::)

i thought the hover did that  ;D

i don't belive death is the end

staris

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 19:53:15 »
my wife vacuums all the time and kills them in know time at all ,we had a couple of dysons which didn't last very long at all, we now have a meile cat dog which she loves and is now two years old without any breakdowns.......record  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 20:21:27 »
Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread so far, both the serious comments and the jokes which made me LOL.   ;D

I'm so glad I asked, as it appears that Dyson are not all they are cracked up to be.  Will look into Miele now I think.   :)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 20:25:09 »
I bought a dyson animal one for my (small - just a front room really) pub, when it went wrong after a couple of months they wouldn't repair it under guarantee as it had been used in "commercial" premises & anyone could have used it, strange as there was only me & my cleaner there! Luckily I had a few customers in at the time who persuaded him he was the one out of order.
I then bought a Henry for the pub which was excellent for all the dog hairs etc.
Now retired with 2 cats I have a Vax & am very pleased with it.

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 20:28:24 »
My mother had a dyson lasted 12months and then had smoke coming from it mr dyson fiix it man said it was a common problem with her modle( dont know what one) as the filters were to close to the motor :o

We and my mother both have a miele cat,dog had them for a few yrs now and no probs.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 22:33:41 »
Our last Dyson lasted  7-8 years.  With 2 kids and 2 dogs it was fantastic.  We only replaced it because we snapped part of the plastic and it was just as cost effective to buy new considering the age of the machine.  We bought a Dyson DC14 earlier this year.  Fantastic and would not consider another brand.  It even comes with a comprehensive 5 year guarantee. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2009, 22:54:39 »
We have an old Hoover Junior (30+ years old) and a Vax (20+ years old).  They are both giving very good service, and I see no reason to replace them.

Recently my OH was talking to the local newsagent.  He was extolling the qualities of the Dyson, saying how brilliant they were, and they were on their third model.

Our old hoovers have outlasted his Dysons, and are still doing valiant service.  In the case of both of them replacement parts are readily available.

Another reason why I will never, ever buy a Dyson is the fact that the multimillionaire James Dyson abandoned his Swindon workforce in favour of somewhere halfway up the hindu kush.

valmarg

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal