Author Topic: help needed with  (Read 3616 times)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
help needed with
« on: September 09, 2009, 18:21:43 »
 my curry, has anyone got a simple recipe for curry mine never really taste that good i have tried doing things differently but still no good, NO coconut allowed.
I even bought a jar of mix today  :o disgusting.
Thank you.

flossy

• Hectare
Re: help needed with
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 18:31:19 »

rosebud,  have only ever liked one curry that was made while OH and I were '' in catering  '',

it was called   ''Knorr Curry Mix '',   it was mild and full of flavour, we used to add chicken, tomatoes

and mushrooms --  amongst other things ,  it flew out !!  Have never found it since ---   yonks ago,

Think you can buy the basic 'pastes ' according to your tastes ie,   hot ,  mild etc, then add

all your preferances and don't be shy about adding sugar !   a great flavour enhancer !

Make it ''  thyne own  '',     ;D

Hertfordshire,   south east England

Julie Bean

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 18:32:23 »
I'd cheat if I was you! Dont know where you live, but would find out where your local curry house  buys their suppies, and go there to shop.
Short of that buy in lots of curry sauce from your local curry house.
I'm lucky live in the Midlands, and work for the NHS so have unlimited acsess to spicy food!
Julia

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 18:55:29 »
Hi Rosebud,

ages ago Tim put a link on here to Spices of India

http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/

they do all sorts of curry pastes etc.  I grew up with Nazir's curry paste and now use their Rogan Josh paste with either lamb or chicken.  Tim gets his poppadoms from them and also uses Mamta's kitchen website for curry recipes - he is quite an expert so I hope he sees this thread.

http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/

Hope that helps, I am cooking supper at the moment so just rushing this.

Good luck
T.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 18:56:38 »
Rosebud - If no coconut then no thai curries eh??
I dont think they can ever be simple but in a push a Patak's Curry paste does the trick for me.  They are pretty good

From scratch  I would
Fry 1 tsp of  cumin, corriander, chilli and tumeric in some ground nut oil for a minute or two.
Add a couple of cloves of chopped garlic, a thumb of chopped ginger and a finely diced onion together with a couple of fresh chopped chillis and fry off for a couple of mins.
If using meat - brown it of in the pan with every thing else and add a tin of diced toms (or home made tom passata!!)
Throw in any veg you want and simmer till everything has cooked down.
I add a thingy of butter near the end and throw on a handfull of corriander leaf...

At least thats what I think I do - I am not very precise at measurements.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 18:59:30 »
Thank you all so much for your help,, I shall look up & try all your suggestions.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 19:28:32 »
Hi Rosebud

I have just a little more time now, this is the paste I use,

http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2espicesofindia%2eco%2euk%2facatalog%2fCurryPastesandSauces%2ehtml&WD=nazir&SHOP=%20&PN=Nazirs%2dRogan%2dJosh%2dCurry%2dPaste%2ehtml%23aCPS051#aCPS051

it has the list of ingredients in the paste and I can't see any coconut, and also the recipe I use.  I usually only make it with half the amount of curry paste, and use chicken or lamb, or a mix of veggies if making it for my daughter and add cashews perhaps at the end.  Sometimes I add lots of extra onions to make a dopiaza type curry, and also sometimes add yogurt at the end to make it more creamy.

I lived in Singapore when I was young and my parents always searched for a curry paste that tasted 'real' to them and this was the nearest they came to it.  I hadn't seen it for a long time apart from on a visit to Macclesfieeld market until Tim posted the link, it certainly made my day!

BarriedaleNick, I might have a go at your recipe, sounds good, I just love curry.

T.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 17:11:43 »
This is a recipe I copied from a Mary Berry cookbook, and can recommend it.  It is easy, and straightforward.  How hot you like your curry would depend on which strength of powder you use.

MARY BERRY TRADITIONAL INDIAN CURRY

2 tablespoons sunflower oil
1 very large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 inch piece of fresh root ginger, grated
1-3 level tablespoons hot curry powder
1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 heaped tablespoon tomato puree
500g casserole beef
1 teaspoon salt
¼ pint water

Heat the oil in a large pan and stir in the onions.  Cook over a medium heat for about 25-30 minutes.  This may seem far too long, but it is the time it takes for the onions to become nicely browned.  For the first 15 minutes they will only need occasional stirring, but they will need increasingly more attention as time goes on.  Stir in the garlic and ginger, followed by the curry powder, and carry on cooking for a further 3-4 minutes.  Now add the tomatoes and tomato puree, then the meat.  Stir, then cover and cook for 15minutes.  Uncover, add the salt and water and bring to the boil.  Cook the curry in a fan oven at 140oC for about 1½ hours or until meat is tender.

valmarg

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 17:45:03 »
Rosebud I have tried making my own but it never tastes as good as the curry paste I buy Its called Minara's curry paste, It say's mild on it buts not really mild. We get it from the local Spar shop. I don't like my currys watery I prefer them more oily so I dont add much water
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 19:08:53 »
Hi Buds, ;D

This is the one we use all the time, the list looks long, but it is sooooooooo easy!
And it comes from Mamtas site, we use it often, and have sent young Pinks to uni with the recipe.
Don't be put off by the long list of ingredients!!
Works with every meat we have tried, I bung in chopped up red peppers with the tomatoes.

http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_display.php?id=10363

DP  :-*
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 19:24:16 »
 Thank you very much for your help.  Tulipa, Valmarg, & shirlton.& Doris.
I must surely be able to make one now i shall let everyone know later next week .  I just love Currys any day of the week. ;D ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal