Author Topic: BORLOTTI BEAN QUESTION  (Read 4895 times)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
BORLOTTI BEAN QUESTION
« on: September 07, 2009, 09:12:53 »
Have quite a few borlotti beans ready to be picked and by the looks of them they have fat beans inside the pods. I would like to pick and store them in the freezer to use them in soups and casseroles later. Should I cook them completely and then freeze or should I blanch for a few minutes and freeze?

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: BORLOTTI BEAN QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 09:16:13 »
Although I havent done it personally Duke - my italian mates down the plot just leave the beans to dry out then they and store them.  They last for ages apparently...
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 09:22:45 »
Hi,

I am glad you asked that question as I was looking at mine yesterday and wondering, they are not ready yet but soon will be hopefully.  ;)

T.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 09:36:43 »
I had a few fresh but have saved most of mine. They have been in the freezer for a few weeks now. I didn't cook them at all beforehand. I understand you take them out and rapid boil for 10 mins and then cook as per the recipie

lolabelle

• Hectare
  • nero
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 09:59:35 »
last year I podded mine blanched briefly then open froze on a tray , packed them then just added to whatever i was cooking , instant rather than drying and having to soak etc

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 11:33:29 »
It all depends on what stage they are at :  if the beans haven't completely formed, they can be shredded with a runner bean shredder and cooked like runners; if the beans are formed and green, cook like broadies, or leave till the pods are drying, then dry them completely (or not if you're going to freeze them) and use in soups and stews.
The Tuscan Beaneater

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 14:02:59 »
last year I podded mine blanched briefly then open froze on a tray , packed them then just added to whatever i was cooking , instant rather than drying and having to soak etc

Lolabelle - I like that way so I'll just have to try and remember it for next year !!

lolabelle

• Hectare
  • nero
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 14:13:41 »
did the same with runner beans that got to big ..well in truth we were fed up of them fresh so let them grow big and then podded ..

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 15:37:54 »
Now I need to be clear on this because my question is similar.

I have got a load of yellow pod french beans which we have not used because we got so much other stuff.

The pods are bulging and I have picked the lot ready to pod today and himself says he will pod whilst watching the football tonight.

So, do I need to boil rapidly to take out the poison as with those beans used for chilli con carne or are they all right as they are?

I am actually thinking of trying to do my own baked beans with the tomatoes I also seem to have a few pounds of. 

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 11:20:25 »
not wanting to kill either you and yours I'd play safe and rapid boil them 1st ! But have to fess up and say I'm not sure......

lolabelle

• Hectare
  • nero
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 20:27:46 »
if they are fresh not dried i wouldn't think there are any poisons its only dried beans that you have to  be cautious with

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal