Author Topic: Angels Trumpet (Brugmansia  (Read 6857 times)

aggie

• Half Acre
Angels Trumpet (Brugmansia
« on: September 07, 2009, 07:55:51 »
I have a beautiful Angel Trumpet, had it last year It had three trunks and almost lost it in the winter, the trunks completely died, nurtured it for ages was just about to throw it away then a little green shoot appeared at the base and bingo it came round and now has 5 beautiful trumpets. What can I do to keep it? Do I cut it down ? if so when? It has one long trunk.I would really like to keep it if I can

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: Angels Trumpet (Brugmansia
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 11:17:59 »
my brugmansia is about 8ft high, with 20+ flowers on it. it's in a 100litre pot, and is kept in unheated greenhouse over-winter.
you could try wrapping the stem in fleece overwinter if your one is in the ground. ;)
You couldn't make it up!

aggie

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 14:31:58 »
No mine is in a large pot. I shall put it in the greenhouse come end of October. Greenhouse is not heated will that be o.k?

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 21:09:31 »
where are you? if you include this in your avatar details, it would make it easier to give some answers. (N.Scotland or S.Devon, it makes a lot of difference!)
You couldn't make it up!

aggie

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 18:11:16 »
Tonybloke

Im in Kent

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 23:05:04 »
it should survive in your unheated greenhouse over winter in kent. reduce watering in late autumn, and don't water at all when there is hard frost around (dec-march).
You couldn't make it up!

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 18:43:15 »
I have 8 and they do fine in the unheated greenhouse BUT if there are lots of frosts i put some fleece over them, had trouble with white fly this year !

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 20:14:18 »
mine is outdoors from spring 'til late autumn, no room for it along with me tomatoes and cuc's
You couldn't make it up!

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 20:18:27 »
Yep mine go outside after the last frosts love the scent by the back door :)

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 20:20:42 »
ours is by the back door as well, you can smell our brugmansia half-way down our street on a hot, still night. it's lovely, innit?  ;D ;D ;D
You couldn't make it up!

aggie

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 23:57:32 »
Thanks for all the advice. and your right the perfume from them is truly wonderfull. If I'm successful keeping it this year I shall get another next year. My one at the moment is yellow I would like a pink one next. Can i take cuttings from my plant? or have I left it to late?

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 00:29:38 »
Not to late to take cuttings, i cut bits off and put them into water and the root really fast.

aggie

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 07:50:15 »
Thanks Flower

I'll give that a try at the weekend.

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 09:35:47 »
Not to late to take cuttings, i cut bits off and put them into water and the root really fast.
ditto!!
You couldn't make it up!

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 02:21:37 »
In Autumn, I take a piece about 6 inches long, and sit it in 3 inches (ish) of water in a jar in a bright, but not direct sunlit place.

In a couple of weeks it'll sprout roots from the little white dots on the stem. Pot it up into a 6inch (min) pot until the Spring, keeping it well watered.

Pot it up again into a 3ltr pot and feed with a balanced feed. I use chicken pellets.

After frost have finished, pot it up into a 10ltr pot and place outside. Feed one a week with a handfull of chicken pellets and keep well watered.

Just keep potting on as required, doubling the size each time. It should flower in its second year.

aggie

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 11:42:33 »
Right here we go:

I've cut 6 little side shoots from my trunk (only have one trunk)  and put them in water. I have also put 3 little bits in soil in a pot and covered with a plastic bag as I have done with my pinks cuttings. Do you think this might also work?

Slug_killer

• Acre
  • I wanna be a slug.
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 12:00:58 »
my brugmansia is about 8ft high, with 20+ flowers on it. it's in a 100litre pot, and is kept in unheated greenhouse over-winter.
you could try wrapping the stem in fleece overwinter if your one is in the ground. ;)

A 100ltr pot !
How on earth do you move it? It must weigh a ton, let alone be to big to get through the greenhouse door.

Can they be left outside ?
When Santa's about, just hoe-hoe-hoe

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 21:03:13 »
A 100ltr pot !
How on earth do you move it? It must weigh a ton, let alone be to big to get through the greenhouse door.

Can they be left outside ?

with a sack-barrow and a couple of mates!!
after this year it should be 'woody' enough to be left outdoors, and will be planted out next year. (wrapped in fleece and bubble wrap for the winters)
You couldn't make it up!

aggie

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 21:27:54 »
 My cuttings are going great guns the ones in water have quite long roots growing, They have been in water for 3 weeks, when should i pot them up? The ones i put in pots have all died  :(  SO water rooting is obviously best

aggie

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 09:47:28 »
Pesky Wabbit do you water down your chicken pellets or do you just sprinkle them on the soil?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal