Author Topic: Angels Trumpet (Brugmansia  (Read 6856 times)

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
Re: Angels Trumpet (Brugmansia
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 10:49:37 »
Nop, don't water down, just chuck a handfull on and let the regular summer monsoon water it in.

ps I dont use chicken pellets in the house, the stink is too much !

aggie

• Half Acre
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 22:33:55 »
I'm going to pot my cuttings tomorrow in the 6" pots as Pesky Wabbit advised. Two are ready to pot up. Really pleased that they rotted so quickley, PW said it would take about 2 weeks and she was right.  :D :D I just hope that they take when they go into pots. I think I'll keep then indoors on a window sill its getting quite cold at night, even in the south :o

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009, 12:39:48 »
You don't have pot up just yet if you don't want to. Another couple of weeks in water won't hurt. It just depends on how much real estate (window sill space) you have. Only when the roots fill the jam-jar (or if you have more than one stick in a jar -when the roots are starting to get entangled) then potting up is actually required.

Once potted up, keep the compost moist. As you know, they are happy in pure water, so you cant over -water them.

Under-watering will limit the amount of root growth/swelling.

I wouldn't feed just yet, there'll be plenty of food in the compost - the thing is not actually growing yet.
You just getting the roots established in soil for anchoring and for easy potting on.

When you start seeing some top growth (ie leaves) then give it a half strengh liquid feed - just to keep it going until the spring. At this stage roots is what you want, not leaves.

If your cuttings arnt rroting, or you feel you want more, then its nnot too late to take more. BUT remember each fully grow plant will want a 100 ltr tub to live in, ie about a square yard of pot, and will need overwintering insdie.

aggie

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2009, 23:33:13 »
Thanks PW I was going to pot them today but boiler has broken in the house so trying to find plumber! ??? I shall leave them for a while longer. The roots are growing well but nowhere filling the jar.

aggie

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2009, 07:08:02 »
Help my Brugmansia has been attacked, the leaves have lots of little holes in them some leaves have been left in the skeleton state with just the veins left. I cannot see anything on them no bugs no fly nothing what is it? and will i loose the plant. I want to put it in the green house over winter but I'm afraid it will spread (what ever it is)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2009, 15:06:16 »
heavy rain can make some quite fearfull looking holes in brugmansia leaves!!
You couldn't make it up!

aggie

• Half Acre
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2009, 19:51:46 »
No Tonybloke  This is not rain it has definitely been eaten as I said one or two leaves are left just like skeleton's with just the veins left.

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2009, 20:12:29 »
I think the swift-moth caterpillar is a likely culprit?
You couldn't make it up!

aggie

• Half Acre
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2009, 07:26:12 »
Thanks tony i shall try to paste a photo of the leaves to day. If it is the swift moth would i be able to see it? and what can i treat it with, because at the moment i can't see a thing.

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2009, 14:56:49 »
[attachment=1]
yesterday, by the back door
You couldn't make it up!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2009, 18:40:22 »

after this year it should be 'woody' enough to be left outdoors, and will be planted out next year. (wrapped in fleece and bubble wrap for the winters)

They are never woody enough to leave outside. I must live in a spot that must be warmer than most of you. Even with the micro climates I have set up in my gardens I lost a brugmansia last year. It is the cold damp that does the damage in this country. I have friends who live in spain and they tell me they do sometimes have frosts but do not loose their mediteranian plants. It is our muggy old british weather that rots and moulders our exotics.

aggie

• Half Acre
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2009, 23:41:26 »
Tonybloke I'm green with envy you have the same colour that i have but yours is three times the size of mine :o :o but the flowers are glorious and the perfume is spectacular. How long have you had yours?

aggie

• Half Acre
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2009, 23:46:46 »
Just zoomed in on your photo's of your Brugmansia and can see you too have little holes in some of your leaves not as bad as mine but they look the same. ???

Slug_killer

• Acre
  • I wanna be a slug.
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2009, 02:22:33 »
Due to the recent (and welcome) rain,  mine have put on loads of new lush growth.

Shame really as I'm about to remove alot of the foliage and put the to bed for the winter.

When Santa's about, just hoe-hoe-hoe

aggie

• Half Acre
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2009, 07:18:07 »
What do you do with yours for the winter?

Slug_killer

• Acre
  • I wanna be a slug.
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2009, 11:49:44 »
Mine go into the utility room. Its the only space I have free thats frost free as well as having daylight.
If I dont remove a lot of the leaves beforehand, they only drop and make the place very untidy.
When Santa's about, just hoe-hoe-hoe

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal