Author Topic: sweetcorn  (Read 3667 times)

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
sweetcorn
« on: September 02, 2009, 12:09:10 »
just had to post about this, so please indulge me!

the first year I grew sweetcorn it went in the ground too late and didn't ripen (plus someone climbed over and helped themselves to most of the cobs. grr)
last year I planted it in ground that clearly didn't have enough nutrients and it grew to 2 feet tall then sulked all summer and went yellow.
this year I was determined to actually get to eat fresh corn on the cob so I started it early, mollycoddled it at home then planted it out into manured ground within three weeks of germination so it didn't sulk again.

I picked the first two cobs on Saturday evening, rushed home and cooked them straight away. served with a little butter and freshly ground pepper and they tasted AMAZING!!!

and thanks again to Jeannine for the seed (Honey Select) and I still have enough left for next year's crop ;D

non-stick

• Half Acre
Re: sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 13:13:35 »
Didn't get mine right this year. We left most of them on too long and the kernels shrivelled. The ones we did get and eat were fantastic so will try again next year

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 13:48:26 »
 ;D lovely aren't they...

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 14:12:43 »
Well done! It's my 2nd attempt at sweetcorn, and I also followed Jeannines tips, but forgot to add manure etc to the planting hole, then they got a bit battered by the wind and a few cooler nights and then I don't think I watered them enough! Did get a few and they were delicious. And I've since lost my packet of seeds  ::)
Oh well lessons learned for next year

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 17:10:25 »
Mine did nothing but sulk after a bad flood not long after I planted it out. It's an easy crop if you get everything right, but if anything checks its growth it just sulks.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 17:38:25 »
Had a great crop two year ago but last year there was a lot of sulking corn here.  It seems to like the allotment and there is no problem with manure so will be growing more next year.  I had not realised that they like a lot of manure.  Also got several packets for 50p each.

I chit mine and then cover each with a plastic bottle until the leaves stick out the top, and then remove the plastic on a nice warm day with a forecast warm night.  I earth up the soil round the bottle to stop it being blown over and so this then falls on the roots and covers them well. 

They also seem to like their sister beans.  Those with a companion bean plant are doing better than the others where the bean did not thrive.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 21:37:49 »
I followed Jeannine's advice last year and got huge plants with many cobs, but the badgers got them.

For some reason, we have not had a badger attack this year and the cobs are wonderful!

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 21:39:45 »
Should have said I have squashes meandering around beneath them (but not beans) and I think they encourage each other and keep the moisture in the ground. Lovely orange Kuris ripening as I type.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 21:55:07 »
Had a lovely crop of Ambrosia this year (the only really successful crop ever in 5 seasons - grew them in the early shade of tall peas this year) but my Bounty were all stripped by the darling rodents!

Linda

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 22:36:34 »
These are the first of my Honey Select - also from Jeannine - and there are another half dozen to be picked and frozen tomorrow.

Where are you Jeannine - I want to say thank you  :-*

[attachment=1]

Tricia

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 22:44:19 »
I grew 2 varieties this year.  Extra Early Tender & Sweet was my first choice.  They have done OK but I am not impressed.  The other variety, Swift,  was recommended by Davey.  It has been outstanding and I will be growing this again from now on.  Thanks Davey.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

amphibian

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 22:47:05 »
Cracking year this year, wehav eaten tonnes and my freezer is full. Love sweetcorn.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 22:57:24 »
 :) grown Candy Mountain this year. excellent/ shades x
grow your own way

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 00:31:27 »
Grew earlibird this year, taste great, two sensible cobs per plant, not too tall so no dstaking, grew well in a builders bag half-filled with soil and compost, didn't need a lot of care and the cobs last several days in the fridge and are still delicious...

chrisc

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 13:33:59 »
I've just eaten the first of mine, variety Golden Bantam, which I picked this morning. They were delicious, and there's lots more to come!
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Pomona

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 14:17:29 »
Don't know what I did right, but I've got loads and it's delicious. Friends and family are very impressed. I can't even remember what variety- it was just a bog standard Wilko's packet, but the plants even survived the blown down greenhouse earlier i the year!

Lizann

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 15:32:57 »
Mine have been a bit tough and not all the kernals filled out and yellow.  Can anyone advise how long to boil for?

Thanks
Lizann :0)

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 15:44:22 »
Lizann I put mine in boiling water for no more than five minutes. Alternatively put them in cold water then when the water boils the corn should be done.
Don't add salt to the water as that toughens the corn when it cooks. Don't overcook or the kernels get hard. Don't cool off hot corn under running cold water as the corn goes soggy.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2009, 17:14:50 »
I hadn't realised sweetcorn was so high maintenance! glad I'm not the only one to have struggled and been successful.

tricia: how do you freeze yours? do you cook them first or just trim and go?

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2009, 17:43:38 »
Norfolklass they're not as far as I'm concerned! Having prepared the ground I sowed the seeds in the first week of June then did virtually nothing else!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal