Author Topic: When to prune Blackcurrants please?  (Read 3169 times)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
When to prune Blackcurrants please?
« on: August 31, 2009, 20:22:22 »
My books here give conflicting advice, can anyone advise the best course to take please? My bushes look desperately sorry for themselves and look as if they would benefit from a good trim up.  ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: When to prune Blackcurrants please?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 20:30:28 »
I try and prune them and feed them just after fruiting.  They fruit on the new growth that then shoots up.

Julie Bean

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 20:34:11 »
You can prune them as soon as they have finished fruiting. Take cuttings that are long enough for you to take a couple of the leaves off the bottom and leave an inch or so of bare stem at the bottom. Stick them in a jamjar of water on your window sill. Give it a week or so and you'll see the roots forming ! You can pot them, as soon as you are ready, and they will be ready to go into the lotty in the spring.
Hope this works for you
Julia

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 20:36:33 »
we prune the fruited stems, maggie..right down, we leave any new shoots for next year, hope this helps  :)

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 20:50:35 »
With blackcurrants you have to decide which old shoots to cut down, preferably to ground level, cause that will encourage completely new fruiting shoots. It may be that you cut off some new shoots that are on the old shoots you take out. Just make sure you have enough new shoots left for next year's crop and that most of the old grotty shoots are taken out.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 22:27:31 »
Ahh thanks all, sharpening secateurs as I type  ;D

bazzysbarn

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 22:44:48 »
When can you move them? We are moving onto another site and want to take all my friut bushes but not sure when to transplant them. Also have redcurrants and gooseberries..

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 15:39:59 »
I find it's easiest to prune as I pick.  Each fruited branch is removed and then stripped while holding it upide down and sitting comfortably.  This leads to fewer fruits being missed or dropped and the shrub is automatically left with new shoots for next year's fruits.

I took cuttings in July a couple of seasons ago and they have all taken.  Wehad a bumper crop from all our plantsthis year tahnks to the heavy winter frosts - lots of blackcurrant jelly plus some spicy jelly for savoury dishes, vinegar and some cognac on the go with more in the freezer for crumbles.

Moving is best done when the plant is dormant in late autumn so the roots have time to recover while the soil is relatively warm.
Obxx - Vendée France

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 23:16:42 »
Removing then stripping sounds a very good idea to me Obbelix. Thanks for that. ;)

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 13:42:53 »
love the cuttings idea for new load in spring will try that but re pruning, what do you mean by right back? My bush is about 6 feet tall and wide how big should it be after pruning?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 13:58:57 »
When can you move them? We are moving onto another site and want to take all my friut bushes but not sure when to transplant them. Also have redcurrants and gooseberries..

I am rearranging my plot and I moved mine last week.

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Currants/Black%20currant.htm

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Gooseberry/Gooseberry.htm

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 20:59:21 »
Reddy - just cut out the fruited branches to a point below where the fruit formed and above a leaf joint.   It should be done immediately the fruit has been picked in order to allow maximum time for the new shoots to form so I would leave yours this year apart from tidying up any crossing branches that might rub in autumn gales.
Obxx - Vendée France

annppayne

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 22:51:48 »
While talking about blackcurrents, some of the leaves on my bushes have turned a very dark red.    Is this a problem ?

Ann

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 07:42:38 »
Obbelix thanks for that twit proof explanation I will prune as I pick next year! many thanks  ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 09:22:59 »
I have been reading this thread with interest as I am intending to move both blackcurrants and gooseberries in late autumn or early winter. I cannot move them sooner as a whole lot of other things need to happen first. Now my question is : should I prune now or leave them until just before moving them, or indeed prune them once they have been moved? And my second question is: should I allow them to produce fruit in the first season after moving them or give them a year to "readjust"?

I do think that it is eminently sensible to prune the branch and then the fruit! Quite inspired actually! :)

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 10:19:48 »
I would leave them be until you're ready to move them but with the proviso that you don't prune or move them when it's frosty as this can cause cell damage at the cuts and allow disease to establish in the damaged wood.  Roots also grow away best in soil that it is still warm from summer and autumn.

I wouldn't worry about them fruiting next eyar as black currants fruit on old wood so you won't get enough fruit to stress the plants.  Can't help with gooseberries I'm afraid as I really don't like them so don't grow them.
Obxx - Vendée France

greenscrump

• Acre
  • Rye, East Sussex
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 15:31:12 »
Hi all,

this is the first year for my blackcurrants so they haven't fruited - how do I know what to prune  ???

many thanks!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 16:39:36 »
You only have to prune out fruited wood in order to encouarge new shoots for next year's crop and any damaged wood or crossing stems that may rub and cause wounds and thus infection.

If your plants are healthy and well shaped leave well alone for now apart from maybe giving them a handful of bonemeal now to encourage root growth over autumn and winter.
Obxx - Vendée France

greenscrump

• Acre
  • Rye, East Sussex
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 17:11:21 »
thank you v much Obbelix- Ishall leave well alone, they look really healthy and are a good shape.

cheers!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal