Author Topic: Small pond/ oxygenating plants  (Read 3877 times)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
Small pond/ oxygenating plants
« on: August 26, 2009, 16:37:46 »
The oxygenating plants in my small pond have grown so much in the last few weeks that they nearly fill it.  Will it be o.k. to remove some?   I usually do it in April.

Ishard

• Hectare
Re: Small pond/ oxygenating plants
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 09:15:32 »
Yes yank the stuff out. Leave it for a few hours by the side of the pond so any wildlife can crawl back into the pond.

You may need to do a small water change after disturbing the water and all the muck floating around in the water column, hosepipe and dechlorinator.  ;D

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 12:06:38 »
Thanks for reply.  I looking for a pump to help empty the pond instead of the bucket and tip way.   Have you any advice on what and where.  Thanks again.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 13:11:07 »
Thanks for reply.  I looking for a pump to help empty the pond instead of the bucket and tip way.   Have you any advice on what and where.  Thanks again.

After using a pump bought at a pond store for a fountain when it died we switched to an old ordinary sump pump which works fine for draining the pond AND for a fountain. Much cheaper also
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 20:47:27 »
Any good garden centre will have a small enough pump for the job with a small pond, however, as has already been stated, small pumps get blocked but you can take them apart and free the impeller. So it may be better for you to pump out most of the water but bucket out the sludge.

I tend to use very large pumps that deal with most things and unless you have a very large pond they are not worth investing several hundred pounds buying one for a small pond.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 20:49:49 by Ishard »

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 17:06:05 »
Thanks.  Will continue to use a bucket.

Hosta

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 22:25:18 »
What oxygenating plants are best for a small pond - and when will they be available to purchase ?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal