Author Topic: diy polytunnel?  (Read 42804 times)

simmo116

• Acre
diy polytunnel?
« on: August 19, 2009, 17:21:00 »
hi there i've dcided to make me a polytunnel .have all the bits all but the poly thene. its going to measure 3 mtrs long by 2.5 mtrs wide giving me a peak height of about 2.5 mtrs. now im looking at polythene and wondering is there any reason why i cant use the clear corrugated sheeting. i've priced it up at about 70 quid. there website states that it is suitible. has anyone tried this? my thinking is that it much hard waring than poly plus if it does get damaged i can just replace that sheet rarther than taping up or getting a whole new polly cover? for the sides i intend to use reclaimed polycabinate sheets(havent found any yet). but im in no rush.so then can anyone give me a reason to use polythene other than the cost(aprox 60 quid)? ;D thanx in advance

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
Re: diy polytunnel?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 21:39:11 »
Light.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 22:08:18 »
light transmission, not light weight  ;)
You couldn't make it up!

banshee

• Half Acre
  • Watched over by Nya
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 23:21:41 »
Hi simmo

My husband made me a greenhouse approx 10 years ago using 3x2 and the corrogated plastic sheeting. It is still going strong to this day. Everything grows well in it, from seedlings to full size plants. I have never lost any overwintered plants in it as yet even though it is not heated. I find that the light gets through fine as does the heat from the sun, in fact I prefer it to my 'proper' greenhouse. Mine is 11ft by 7 or 8ft and in the last 10 years, have only had to replace 2 of the panels on the roof when they got broke during high winds one year. My opinion for what it's worth, is that they are doing a fine job for me  ;D
Little garden plot, tended by faeiries, eaten by snails............

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 09:37:02 »
I would love to see the pictures of your corrugated plastic greenhouse. what did you use for the struts???

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 16:45:11 »
dug the post holes last night. i plan to isert the mdpe(water pipe) into a slightly larger diameter steel pipe that has a plate welded to the botom and buried to secure it. similar to these plans(http://www.overthegardengate.net/UserPages/pp_view.asp?FName=polytunnel&Page=1) but on a smaller scale.
ill post pics as i go along for any one else wanting to do the same.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 17:24:04 by simmo116 »

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 17:17:04 »
cemented in posts today so should weather permiting put hoops up. got the corrugated plastic sheets from b and q. 15% off so had no choice really plus they were the cheapest i could find. i have managed to scrounge some wood for the door frame but may not have enough for the back so will wait to put up sheeting untill am sealed.am not sure what to cover the ends with. i'd like to use polycarbanate sheeting but is very expensive. unless i raide some bus shelters....lol may resort to using clear polythene stretched across the batton.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 22:21:04 »
if the tunnel 'runs from north to south', you could make the north end from plywood, paint the inside black to gain extra heat from the sun in the winter, cover with a white sheet or some reflective sheeting in the summer.  ;) also you could easily install ventilation in this end wall.
You couldn't make it up!

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 08:39:38 »
thats a good idear tony. thanx. someone gave me a green house last night. so now i have a dilema. i only have room for one. im thinking of putting the green house where the tunnel was going untill i can procure more land.my neibour has two full plots and the half ajsent to mine is overgrown so i may have a little chat.

torquil

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 10:49:37 »
anyone interested  in polytunnel greenhouse just purchased one and finished it lastweek  3.5m-2m-2m for less than£60 including delivery. go on ebay put in polytunnels and go to grow up .it is now up and running itiscertainly a good buy

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 09:19:42 »
ok got the hoops up yesterday only for the seceratary to come and have a nose and sugested the council may not allow it....aaarrrggghhh my fault should have enquired first.no have to email head of parks and allotments. and try and convince him that i really need it. or i can see me doing some free plumbing.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 10:02:36 »
looking good, what will be the finished size. if greenhouses are allowed on your site and its not going to be much bigger, then why would they have a problem with that, hope it gets the permission.

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 10:06:06 »
i think largest greenhouse sise alowed. is 6x8 the tunnel is slightkly bigger. the site seceratry said he doesnt have a problem with it but would hate for me to finish it then the council tell me to take it down. the trouble is i couldnt make it much smaller as the hoops would distort./

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 10:08:51 »
is yours the first tunnel on site then?

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 10:11:09 »
yup.

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 10:13:50 »
breaking the mould is always hard ;D, hope it works out for you.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, 10:25:19 »
I'd ask now before you put the plastic on.   It looks great with the blue hoops.  Very artistic.

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2009, 13:41:08 »
had a comment today that it looks like a gypsies caravan.....lol

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2009, 20:17:56 »
I think it looks great. I was wondering whether to do a smaller version using
those cheap garden rose arches.  How will you attach the polythene to the arches?  ???

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2009, 14:05:21 »
Simmo

looks great. I am looking to do something very similar.  Where did you get the blue pipe and how much was required?

Psi

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal